Enclosure for my little guy

jcrit

Location (City and/or State)
Angleton, Tx
My husband and I built an enclosure for my guy, he was born August and is pretty small still. (If you look closely you can see him in the back, right corner. haha) I currently have a combination of cypress mulch and coco, but the coco sticks to him and he’s so small it gets all over his head, especially when he climbs out of his water or he’s fresh out of a soak. Should I add more of the mulch and less coco? Be gentle, please. I’m still learning . ;) Constructive criticism welcome.

4D0AE0AE-5B36-4FDA-B442-0D829BC780CD.jpeg

jcrit

Angleton, Tx

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Oh what a lovely tortoise enclosure! Did you or your husband design that one? That husband must be cool to help you build that!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great enclosure! Only thing is, your baby needs much, much more cover. Think about it. Baby tortoises are prey. They hardly EVER go out into the open or they'd be eaten. So add a couple of hiding places and lots of "furniture." You can put in a couple of 'boulders,' some plants. . . Markw84 uses a type of clump grass that they LOVE to hide under. And be sure to wet the substrate. I like to use fine grade orchid bark. It doesn't stick to everything, and it doesn't cause impaction if the accidently eat it.

Your lights may be up too high. You'll need a UV meter to read the UVB and if it's reaching the floor of the table. And an infrared thermometer to read the temperature all over the floor of the whole table.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also make sure you have 2-4 inches of substrate, and that it covers the entire floor :)