Enclosure Heat in the Southeast US, South Florida

seadogrun

Location (City and/or State)
Pompano Beach, FL
Hello all,

I just built new living quarters for my red foot in order to keep him outdoors where I think it will be better suited for him.
I did not plan enough for heat so I am going to ask what the best way to heat the hide for this new home? Keep in mind this is South Florida so it does not get cold, but I think he will the humidity outside better.

The whole thing is 3' by 4'.

The hide is 1' by 3' by 1' tall.

Thank you,

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot are also outside and I'm also in south Florida.
On nights where the weather gets below 60 I'd bring a smaller one inside the house inside of a tote with shredded newspaper.
Of you can place a smaller wattage CHE on top of the screen as long as the fixture wont get rained on.
I have CHE in the sleeping quarters of my outdoors enclosure. But they are waterproofed.
If I had just one Redfoot, I'd just bring them indoors for 24 hours. Its rarely too cold for more than 2 days in a row here.
Also, I recommend sealing the wood on the inside of that enclosure to protect it from moisture and from absorbing tortoise poop and pee. Or you can staple up some fish pond liner, or shower curtain material.
Its below 60% humidity for most of the winter. So supplemental humidity will be required in the form of pouring some water into your mulch or Orchid bark substrate.
The rest of our year, the humidity is just perfect.
Also, don't put the enclosure in the full sun. Make sure it's in partial shade.
Let me know if you need any assistance.
I'm a little south west of you in SUNRISE.

Attachments

• 20191221_162920.jpg
    20191221_162920.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
On nights where the weather gets below 60 I'd bring a smaller one inside the house inside of a tote with shredded newspaper.
Of you can place a smaller wattage CHE on top of the screen as long as the fixture wont get rained on.
I have CHE in the sleeping quarters of my outdoors enclosure. But they are waterproofed.
If I had just one Redfoot, I'd just bring them indoors for 24 hours. Its rarely too cold for more than 2 days in a row here.
Also, I recommend sealing the wood on the inside of that enclosure to protect it from moisture and from absorbing tortoise poop and pee. Or you can staple up some fish pond liner, or shower curtain material.
Its below 60% humidity for most of the winter. So supplemental humidity will be required in the form of pouring some water into your mulch or Orchid bark substrate.

Thank you for the response.

Since I wrote the first post I have come up with the idea to use the same temp controller I have with the indoor enclosure. I set the temp to 83 so at least the sleeping area/hide area would be warm enough at any time, but would not get too hot. This is using CHE with a temp sensor that will turn the CHE on and off as needed to maintain 83.

Do you think that sounds okay?

Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you for the response.

Since I wrote the first post I have come up with the idea to use the same temp controller I have with the indoor enclosure. I set the temp to 83 so at least the sleeping area/hide area would be warm enough at any time, but would not get too hot. This is using CHE with a temp sensor that will turn the CHE on and off as needed to maintain 83.

Do you think that sounds okay?

Thanks
Yes.
83 is an ideal temperature for a Redfoot.
And a CHE on a thermostat sounds fantastic

Profitpak

Fort Lauderdale . Fl.
Zero Pilot. You’re close to me as I’m in Davie and need help with my Sulcata. Posted a
Problem I’m having with him and hope you have a chance to read it and respond. Thanks.

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
Yes.
83 is an ideal temperature for a Redfoot.
And a CHE on a thermostat sounds fantastic

Hello Again Zero Pilot,

I am now wondering about lighting for the outdoor habitat. Do you thing my redfoot needs artificial light even though he is outside when he chooses. He remains in his hide most of the time. Does he need direct sunlight or being that he is a forest floor creature, is being outside, but mostly in the shade sufficient?

Thank you again,