Enclosure in Texas

SulcataAmy

5 Year Member
We have Jack outside in a built in enclosure, but the dirt is very dry. We bought eco earth for his indoor enclosure and used some of it in his shaded area to keep it humid enough. The only other places that have shade are under some of the plants. It occasionally reaches higher than 100 degrees here and it usually stays in the upper 90s. Do I need more ares with shade?

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6666.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 58

SulcataAmy

5 Year Member
Most of the enclosure does get a lot of shade from the trees from about 5:00 on. Should I still put up more shade for the rest of the day?

Last edited:

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Yes more shade and you need to learn what 'deep shade' is. Shade is nailing a board up and having a hide under it. Deep shade is when you have all of that plus a tree casting shade onto that board. You need deep shade so he can escape the heat we have this time of year. I don't have any mature trees so I use a shade cloth to create deep shade.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Start a compost pile. Use the finished or semi finished compost to top dress the soil in the habitat, adding to it every year. It will amend the soil & make it easier to start seeds and grow plants for grazing & shade, soften the soil for burrowing

Everyone should compost. Garden waste, kitchen waste, just no meat or dairy.

Climbs off soapbox now