Enclosure Kinixys nogueyi

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Woah. I cant even begin to pronounce kinixys nogueyi... Like what the...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: AW: Enclosure Kinixys nogueyi

ulkal said:
They were raised on wild herbs, mushrooms,worms and occasional fruit, and also had daily soaks. Do you soak your Kinixys hatchlings and until when?
I am really happy the breeder put them on hold for me until I can pick them up. It will be prob another month, I first need winter tires for my car. And the enclosure,of course. But that makes it all for real :D

I force soak mine far less then most. I only did it for the first couple of weeks until I knew they knew how to do their own soaking.

Sulcata_Sandy said:
FLINTUS said:
I thought nogueyi are similar to red foots in their humidity/shell rot thing. Need a dryish top-I've seen some really nasty pics of shell rots on these guys. For my red foots, I have now found leaf litter to be the best to achieve this.

Leaf litter? What is that?

You know in the fall when the trees all loose their leaves? When those leaves drop they start becoming leaf litter.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Would a T8 actually be okay, too? The problem is that I cannot find a waterproof mono-fixture for a T5 tube.

ulkal

5 Year Member
AW: Enclosure Kinixys nogueyi

Thats definitely an option, I am fine with paying for shipping. Will it work just with an UK->DE adapter? You guys have 230 V ,too?
Just not crazy abt MVB,they always went out on me,so its personal :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I think so-although maybe go directly and ask John at Arcadia as he might be able to tell you where they are for sale in Germany as well as reassured about conversion and all that stuff.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thank you Flintus!!
I just wasnt searching right, should have typed in IP67, which is the waterproof standard (one hour, 1 m under water).
Found a mono T5 :)

ulkal

5 Year Member
I know I should have posted some pictures by now, but I am constantly changing my mind about lighting.
As of now, I put in a Lucky Reptile Bright Sun Desert 50W and decided to take the double fixtures for T5, with the 12% tubes (39 W)
Am I going over the top :rolleyes::(?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jacqui said:
:D Thanks Carl! I have always been a huge fan of raising my young in glass tanks, even when it became something most people would frown upon. I have quite a collection of 40 gal breeder tanks because of it. :D

I agree. I like glass tanks too. They are easier to establish a stable micro climate needed for any variety of species.

ulkal said:
Thank you Mick. The two I am getting are from the same clutch and get along well apparently, but I will closely monitor. They were incubated for females.
The sealing takes some time, because the side to be sealed has to be flat on the ground...then wait and dry...turn.
You all were superhelpful I have a better idea now. As soon as my terrarium is more than a wood box with glass windows I will post pics.
This might be a bit premature, but those two will be my torts :D

Those are spectacular. I have never seen any that dark. I would be curious of the adults and where they were collected from. They almost look zombensis being that dark. Good stuff.

ulkal

5 Year Member

I will make sure to ask the breeder when I pick them up. Maybe she knows.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Mini-Update. Test, Test :D

Right now I am blasting the lights to determine, if I need to add the CHE. Have been on for 20 minutes and the temperature under the lamp is 30°C, the ambient 25°C, cold side 22°C. Room temperature is 20°C. What do you think?

As to what I actually did so far:
Build this thing together, seal with epoxy, install the lights, baking the coco coir, gathering leaf litter. Not so much, I know :/
The particle board was a b**** to assemble, seal and screw into. So was the installation of the lights. ( 2 Arcadia T5 tubes, 39 W with reflectors and a Lucky Reptile Bright Sun 50 W)

IMG_20131219_165122.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hi,

Temperature is optimal. Humidity? Which substrate? And which plants?
I post my homeanas enclosure for a 1,5 year old animal. I take normal grass and fern. ImageUploadedByTortForum1387479036.061402.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387479071.247392.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387479091.633449.jpg

ulkal

5 Year Member

Juli,your enclosure is great!what kind of fern is that. it looks like that 'standard' one that grows all over once u have it.

This was just a temp-light test. we see how they are with the soil. I will use coco coir about 10-15cm deep (humuserde mit kokosfasern),3 grassplants(zypern &seychellen),2 golliwoogs,1 bromeliad,1 minibambus(zimmerbambus).
I have 2 cork-hides and will add a 3rd hide.Patches of Sphagnum moss and leaf litter throughout the enclosure and in the hides. hope to.have that finished tomorrow before work or saturday,latest.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hi, Yes it is normal fern. Ok that sounds good. Maybe you can do it like me...
The right site of the terra I don't have plant so much only a little bit gras. There it would be very warn and my homeana can take a sunbath. Also there is the water basin. On the left is the big fern. The animal get protection there. And wood kinixys need a lot protection! So I think it would be the best if you make one place for the nougeiy to take sunbathes and around this place you can make plants. After two months when you see that they don't spend so much time by the plants than by the sunplace you can make more free area ;-)

ulkal

5 Year Member
Okay, finally, all thats missing is the leaf litter, its drying.
I would be happy about any input. I think I will put in some more plants.

From right to left:
Terracotta saucer with flat stones in right corner, cork hide with sphagnum moss, Golliwoog plant, stone under basking spot, brown plant saucer for food, sepia, minibamboo, bromeliad, another cork hide with sphagnum, grass plant. Maybe you cant see it, but a quarter of the terrarium is covered with sphagnum moss. Lighting: 2x Arcadia tube 39 W( will only use them for a few hours a day) and Lucky Reptile Bright Sun 50W. I put some herb seeds in there, hopefully will grow :)

IMG_20131223_013442.jpgIMG_20131223_013446.jpgIMG_20131223_013450.jpgIMG_20131223_013454.jpgIMG_20131223_013500(1).jpg