ENCLOSURE MOCK UP NEED OPINIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
R-14 is the rolled insulation ....the panels are 4x8 foam / foiled back 1/2" with a 3.2r value.
and thanks Barb .... it is a wonder who is on the other end of the line ...I guess one day I will post a pic ...<scary>

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Re: RE: ENCLOSURE MOCK UP NEED OPINIONS

wellington said:
I always loved your tort houses. Thanks for the pics. Is that you? Nice to have a face to your name:) I had thought about a taller house with low ceilings for helping with heat, but that were on hinges, so I could lift them up out of my way, so I could walk in. I just don't know if I can get away with it, without getting permits, which I won't do. I do like the ease of a taller building. However, even the builder said if I went bigger then an 8x8x6 high, I would need a permit:(
I will have to keep thinking and tweaking:D

volcom6981 said:
What for insulation are you using for those huts. You live in Florida, so im gussing here in PA, i would need a different R value then you are using

Actually he lives Cali. Where do you plan on moving too?

The chances of someone stumbling onto that shed and bothering to make sure you pulled the proper permits.....I shouldn't suggest such things lol. But typically you can get around needing permits by not having the building fixed to the ground (like how a cheap shed just sits on the ground) or home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lasciels Toy said:
wellington said:
I always loved your tort houses. Thanks for the pics. Is that you? Nice to have a face to your name:) I had thought about a taller house with low ceilings for helping with heat, but that were on hinges, so I could lift them up out of my way, so I could walk in. I just don't know if I can get away with it, without getting permits, which I won't do. I do like the ease of a taller building. However, even the builder said if I went bigger then an 8x8x6 high, I would need a permit:(
I will have to keep thinking and tweaking:D

volcom6981 said:
What for insulation are you using for those huts. You live in Florida, so im gussing here in PA, i would need a different R value then you are using

Actually he lives Cali. Where do you plan on moving too?

The chances of someone stumbling onto that shed and bothering to make sure you pulled the proper permits.....I shouldn't suggest such things lol. But typically you can get around needing permits by not having the building fixed to the ground (like how a cheap shed just sits on the ground) or home.

Maybe where you live, however, I live in the city of Chicago. Our neighbors are really close, really close. We also have a very nosy neighborhood council group that butts into everyones business. The good part about that, my husbands on the committee, the bad part there is one lady, that everyone hates, but she also hates my hubby and she is the noisiest, they always butt heads. There is a shed size ordinance and you are only allowed one shed per city lot. As long as I can keep it below,my fence, I don't think I will have a problem. My fence is six feet high. I'm 5'5". So I can build it shorter:)

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
I swear there is some universal law about each community having 1 crazy lady who complains "constantly". But ya, 5ft6 would be plently plus keep the warm air from rising to high.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Think of it this way, if your comfortable naked in that same location as your tortoise would be then it doesn't matter if it's outside in a heated shed or in your basement, but if you wouldn't be comfortable in that place naked then it's wrong to put your tortoise there. Cold gets tortoises stressed and then sick and then they die.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
SaveTheTortoise said:
Think of it this way, if your comfortable naked in that same location as your tortoise would be then it doesn't matter if it's outside in a heated shed or in your basement, but if you wouldn't be comfortable in that place naked then it's wrong to put your tortoise there. Cold gets tortoises stressed and then sick and then they die.

I think we understand your analogy about the nakedness…..but ………
Endothermic animals are those that generate and can produce their own heat to maintain their body temperature. One such way is simply by the digestive process of the food we eat…..your heart pumping ect.
Tortoises however are an Ectothermic animal which is one who cannot regulate its own body temperature, so its body temperature fluctuates according to its surroundings…..that being the key word~:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, it's going to be heated and nice and warm. I would feel comfortable naked, as long as the nosy neighbors weren't looking:p :D Hell, Tatum will be warmer then I keep my house. I might just move in with him:D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Okay, it's going to be heated and nice and warm. I would feel comfortable naked, as long as the nosy neighbors weren't looking:p :D Hell, Tatum will be warmer then I keep my house. I might just move in with him:D

Hey is that house still for rent next door? ......:p

Status
Not open for further replies.