Enclosure plants for shade

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
What are some good shade plants that I can put in my red foot enclosure to provide more shade ? I have plenty of small plants in there right now that are edible but none of them are shady.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Any food item like cactus, banana and palms. Asparagus fern, coleous, and others are safe plants they may nibble but probably won't devour like the food plants...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What are some good shade plants that I can put in my red foot enclosure to provide more shade ? I have plenty of small plants in there right now that are edible but none of them are shady.
Where are you located? I assume you are talking about an outdoor enclosure, so your area dictates a lot about the choice of plants.

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
Where are you located? I assume you are talking about an outdoor enclosure, so your area dictates a lot about the choice of plants.

Yes I have a outdoor enclosure. And I am located in South Alabama

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I just don’t want to put any plant in there that might be toxic if he was to eat it

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like using ones like hibiscus, laventera, rose of sharon. The woody stem, once well started keeps it tortoise proof and the plant will create lots of shade. They bloom prodigiously and constantly drop flowers for the tortoise to eat and trimming leaves to keep it to size is a good source of food as well. Rosemary is safe and evergreen and tortoises just leave it alone but you have a herb source for the kitchen. I use it a lot for my sulcatas as about the only plant they will leave alone, and they love to rest beneath it. I do like the look of the large tufts of carex grasses. Totally safe food, and my Burmese star tortoises tend to leave it alone, but like to push under it for cover. Grape vines are also a great choice.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I like mediterranean plants, especially lavender.

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
I found a large form of hosta called ‘Sum and Substance’ that gets really big. I left them in th pot to grow out a bit before planting them so torts wouldn’t trample and eat them. IMG_3743.jpg
And they look good in a pot as well.