Enclosure question for baby as it grows

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
We are planning on getting a roughly 2" baby Russian. I have an unused 2'x4' enclosure we were going to start him in then move to 4'x8' when he gets bigger.

The question is, is it worth having a baby cage or do they grow quick enough that we should just start in the 4'x8'?

We are planning on getting a roughly 2" baby Russian. I have an unused 2'x4' enclosure we were going to start him in then move to 4'x8' when he gets bigger.

The question is, is it worth having a baby cage or do they grow quick enough that we should just start in the 4'x8'?
Well Russians grow up fast. A big cage would work but it is harder to maintain the heating. Tell me if you are planning on keeping indoors or outdoors. If indoors then it should be okay but outdoors you should start with a smaller cage and upgrade when tortoise gets larger. If you are planning on keeping an outside cage you should only do it if the weather is 75f and over.if the weather is warm outside you can keep him in a outside cage.but if it is colder than 75f then either help him inside or outside in a Small cage.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My preference would be to start a baby in the 2x4, and move to the 4x8 once the tortoise reaches about 4".

No harm will be done if you just start with the 4x8' enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you start with the bigger one, just block a portion of it off until he's larger. Then you only need the one enclosure.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Well Russians grow up fast. A big cage would work but it is harder to maintain the heating. Tell me if you are planning on keeping indoors or outdoors. If indoors then it should be okay but outdoors you should start with a smaller cage and upgrade when tortoise gets larger. If you are planning on keeping an outside cage you should only do it if the weather is 75f and over.if the weather is warm outside you can keep him in a outside cage.but if it is colder than 75f then either help him inside or outside in a Small cage.
Going to be indoor only. Where I live it is normally either too hot or too cold. I will take him outside when it's an ok temp but it would be in a kiddie pool or the like, nothing permanent.

Thank you for the replies everyone!!!

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Follow up question, when you say quickly are we talking months, years? I had a Tegu that went from 5" to 3' in a year's time so my 'grows quick' might be jaded lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Follow up question, when you say quickly are we talking months, years? I had a Tegu that went from 5" to 3' in a year's time so my 'grows quick' might be jaded lol
They can go from 2" to 4" in one year. Really depends on your individual tortoises growth rate. I'd say 2 years tops if you hibernate and keep him well hydrated. Maybe sooner if you don't hibernate.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
They can go from 2" to 4" in one year. Really depends on your individual tortoises growth rate. I'd say 2 years tops if you hibernate and keep him well hydrated. Maybe sooner if you don't hibernate.
Thank you. I don't plan to hibernate so that helps a lot!