Enclosure question for half blind Red Footed tortoise

Cynosoura

Location (City and/or State)
McDonough, GA
OK - first the basics: Odin was born with only one eye about 4 months ago. I picked him up from a redfoot breeder because: 1) I've always wanted a tortoise and 2) Look at him. I mean I got this 1st photo of him and was asked if I wanted to adopt, and basically said to myself, "Well. Guess I've a roommate now." The below is from when I got "him" (too young to tell if she/he...but one eye? Had to be Odin...so "he" for now). Think he's about 8 weeks here, give or take.

received_918435988620310.jpeg

He was born without a left eye - and a barely formed eye socket:
IMG_20200823_141121_2.jpg

But his shell is good, he eats like a horse, he wanders about the enclosure like a champ, loves head and neck scritches (which surprises me, actually, didn't expect that):
IMG_20200823_134853_2.jpg
IMG_20200817_122314_3.jpg

He even likes to play games with me. Like, "Find the Tortoise" at 6am in the morning...because why drink coffee when all you need is a good wallop of adrenaline as you open his sleeping hide and you can't find your tortoise, only to look out into the larger side and go, "Wait. This is a BOX. He's gotta be here:"
IMG_20200831_131324.jpg

Or my personal favorite, "Has my tort just drowned during the night?" This one I did not find as humorous...I've caught him twice in the last month sleeping in his water dish. This first episode caused me to swap out this dish for a terra cotta planter saucer because honestly I do not need a stroke or heart attack.
IMG_20200724_203342.jpg

Here is as the enclosure - should note that he's 100% for now indoors. Some things to point out: recently, after reading posts on this forum, realized: 1) the expert advice I received lacked some pretty important bits 2) Need to cover the grating to keep more moisture in (was only in the 60-70% range), and 3) that there's not enough heat (50W CHE with a Reptisun 10.0 13W Desert) as ambient temp only in the middling 70's. I also have a heat mat (Exo Terra 16W Med) on the floor of the hide with a thermostat set to 85 degrees). Current substrate is cedar mulch (again, on recommendation) about 3-4" deep. Spray the substrate daily and he gets a warm bath every morning for about 10-15 minutes before breakfast (sometimes longer, sometimes less, depending on his rambunctiousness to try and clamber out of the plastic tub.

Fixes to the below are coming this week: acrylic to cover the grating (I've covered opening and roof of hide with tinfoil for now and that's actually...raising the temps a bit, but doesn't feel like enough or with enough variation options). A hygrometer/temp with probes coming, and another heat mat that I'm going to (at least for now) affix against the wall of the hide opposite the opening. Just don't think there's enough humidity retention. However, the enclosure itself is great (Aivituvin Wooden Tortoise House. It's got a plastic bottom such that I just lift the whole thing up, walk it outside, dump substrate, put back together, and refill substrate).

IMG_20200905_140605.jpg

SO ALL OF THE ABOVE to set up to ask: as a special needs tortoise, I was also advised to keep the enclosure bare, with as few obstacles as possible. Given the other advice misses, is this one also a bit off? He does seem to amble around quite well (albeit...he has a tendency to bump the walls quite a bit!) Wondering if I should be dropping in a couple of potted plants? Different lighting? I'm REALLY new to tortoise rearing and didn't see much about "half blind" torts here. Again, while eating does seem to take some extra effort he certainly doesn't leave many morsels (he does miss while eating quite a bit, so it does take him a bit longer, so rather than feeding "only what they can in 30 minutes" I just let him go at it.).

BUT - I can't imagine this being enough...stimulus? I don't know, but y'all have been brilliant with advice and would definitely appreciate any comments!

Plants or things, yea or nay?

Thanks all!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_141121_2.jpg
    IMG_20200823_141121_2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pile the food against the wall so it doesn't move away as he bites at it.

He does have vision, so in my opinion, plants and other 'furniture' is fine.

Cynosoura

McDonough, GA
Pile the food against the wall so it doesn't move away as he bites at it.

He does have vision, so in my opinion, plants and other 'furniture' is fine.
Outstanding. Appreciate the input. I think plants would also help with humidityz? Again, I appreciate your advice!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think the little guy will adapt to the way you setup the enclosure no problems. They're pretty tough creatures. If it was me I'd add plants.

Cynosoura

McDonough, GA
I think the little guy will adapt to the way you setup the enclosure no problems. They're pretty tough creatures. If it was me I'd add plants.
Appreciate your feedback - definitely appreciate the "assist" in thinking here. I think I'll begin shopping around for some small potted plants to add!

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
It was very nice that you adopted him. Glad to see he shows personality and appreciates the neck rubs.
Awesome that he eats good also !

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
OK - first the basics: Odin was born with only one eye about 4 months ago. I picked him up from a redfoot breeder because: 1) I've always wanted a tortoise and 2) Look at him. I mean I got this 1st photo of him and was asked if I wanted to adopt, and basically said to myself, "Well. Guess I've a roommate now." The below is from when I got "him" (too young to tell if she/he...but one eye? Had to be Odin...so "he" for now). Think he's about 8 weeks here, give or take.

View attachment 307011

He was born without a left eye - and a barely formed eye socket:
View attachment 307013

But his shell is good, he eats like a horse, he wanders about the enclosure like a champ, loves head and neck scritches (which surprises me, actually, didn't expect that):
View attachment 307014
View attachment 307015

He even likes to play games with me. Like, "Find the Tortoise" at 6am in the morning...because why drink coffee when all you need is a good wallop of adrenaline as you open his sleeping hide and you can't find your tortoise, only to look out into the larger side and go, "Wait. This is a BOX. He's gotta be here:"
View attachment 307016

Or my personal favorite, "Has my tort just drowned during the night?" This one I did not find as humorous...I've caught him twice in the last month sleeping in his water dish. This first episode caused me to swap out this dish for a terra cotta planter saucer because honestly I do not need a stroke or heart attack.
View attachment 307017

Here is as the enclosure - should note that he's 100% for now indoors. Some things to point out: recently, after reading posts on this forum, realized: 1) the expert advice I received lacked some pretty important bits 2) Need to cover the grating to keep more moisture in (was only in the 60-70% range), and 3) that there's not enough heat (50W CHE with a Reptisun 10.0 13W Desert) as ambient temp only in the middling 70's. I also have a heat mat (Exo Terra 16W Med) on the floor of the hide with a thermostat set to 85 degrees). Current substrate is cedar mulch (again, on recommendation) about 3-4" deep. Spray the substrate daily and he gets a warm bath every morning for about 10-15 minutes before breakfast (sometimes longer, sometimes less, depending on his rambunctiousness to try and clamber out of the plastic tub.

Fixes to the below are coming this week: acrylic to cover the grating (I've covered opening and roof of hide with tinfoil for now and that's actually...raising the temps a bit, but doesn't feel like enough or with enough variation options). A hygrometer/temp with probes coming, and another heat mat that I'm going to (at least for now) affix against the wall of the hide opposite the opening. Just don't think there's enough humidity retention. However, the enclosure itself is great (Aivituvin Wooden Tortoise House. It's got a plastic bottom such that I just lift the whole thing up, walk it outside, dump substrate, put back together, and refill substrate).

View attachment 307018

SO ALL OF THE ABOVE to set up to ask: as a special needs tortoise, I was also advised to keep the enclosure bare, with as few obstacles as possible. Given the other advice misses, is this one also a bit off? He does seem to amble around quite well (albeit...he has a tendency to bump the walls quite a bit!) Wondering if I should be dropping in a couple of potted plants? Different lighting? I'm REALLY new to tortoise rearing and didn't see much about "half blind" torts here. Again, while eating does seem to take some extra effort he certainly doesn't leave many morsels (he does miss while eating quite a bit, so it does take him a bit longer, so rather than feeding "only what they can in 30 minutes" I just let him go at it.).

BUT - I can't imagine this being enough...stimulus? I don't know, but y'all have been brilliant with advice and would definitely appreciate any comments!

Plants or things, yea or nay?

Thanks all!!!!
Sleeping in the water dish must be a Redfoot thingIMG_20190316_175912511.jpg

Cynosoura

McDonough, GA
That makes me feel quite a bit better, actually. THANK YOU!!

I should also clarify to everyone: I meant to type CYPRESS mulch, not cedar. Yipes!!