Enclosure recommendation

The crab man

Location (City and/or State)
MILLEN
Does anyone know of a good sealed enclosure, the one I have is old and not keeping humidity that well

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of tortoise, what size, etc. How much money are you willing to spend? Cheap, Some. A Ton...Luxury with all the Mod Cons..?

The crab man

MILLEN
What kind of tortoise, what size, etc. How much money are you willing to spend? Cheap, Some. A Ton...Luxury with all the Mod Cons..?
Sorry I probably should've added more info it's a baby sulcata maybe 4 inches in shell length. I don't wanna spend my life savings but I'm not opposed to coming out of pocket for a quality product, maybe something that is climate controlled electronically of that's even possible. My tort seems to be doing great in his current enclosure I'm just not satisfied with it and I know I can do better

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The good “problem” with Sullys, is that they grow so quickly from cute little things to pretty large monsters. Soooo, you don’t want to spend a ton of money on an enclosure that your tort will outgrow in a few months.

If taken care of properly with right food, heat, soaking & lighting, your little guy will be a little tank.

It might help if u upload some pix of your current enclosure.

ps.. Millen as in Millen Georgi, right?

The crab man

MILLEN
The good “problem” with Sullys, is that they grow so quickly from cute little things to pretty large monsters. Soooo, you don’t want to spend a ton of money on an enclosure that your tort will outgrow in a few months.

If taken care of properly with right food, heat, soaking & lighting, your little guy will be a little tank.

It might help if u upload some pix of your current enclosure.

ps.. Millen as in Millen Georgi, right?
Yep millen georgia, and I'll upload some pics but it's a pretty basic plastic bin design I found it holds the heat pretty well but the humidity is what gets me later on in life I do have plans to move him into a large outdoor enclosure with a climate controlled room lol and all the works

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
There recently was a posting of a guy who used two pretty large rubbermaid type containers, one for the base, and the other flipped upside down as a roof. There are some good structurally sound ones out there. You could use a dark one for the base, a clear one for the upper lead. This ”lid” provides a good height so you can keep your lights & CHE/RHP inside. Thats the key. Fully enclosed. You can also creatively use some PVC to facilitate hanging the lights/heaters.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a member on this forum named @Markw84 who makes wonderful enclosures. If you search this site for Closed Chambers you will see his all inclusive cages. Animal plastics is another option, but it takes 5-6 months to get one of their enclosures. Best of Luck to you.

The crab man

MILLEN
There recently was a posting of a guy who used two pretty large rubbermaid type containers, one for the base, and the other flipped upside down as a roof. There are some good structurally sound ones out there. You could use a dark one for the base, a clear one for the upper lead. This ”lid” provides a good height so you can keep your lights & CHE/RHP inside. Thats the key. Fully enclosed. You can also creatively use some PVC to facilitate hanging the lights/heaters.
That doesnt sound like a bad idea

The crab man

MILLEN
There is a member on this forum named @Markw84 who makes wonderful enclosures. If you search this site for Closed Chambers you will see his all inclusive cages. Animal plastics is another option, but it takes 5-6 months to get one of their enclosures. Best of Luck to you.
Thanks I'll give his stuff a look

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

I think these are both great enclosures for many tortoises, but not for Sullys. They will outgrow both types of enclosures very quickly. I know that while our Sully was young and really growing, she would have out grown both in less than a year.