Enclosure size for pancakes?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I was originally asking for a friend, but now I’m a bit interested in them, lol. But you know the motto- one tortoise is never enough!
I probably won’t get it anytime soon, probably not at all, but I figured I might as well ask.
Would a pancake tortoise do well in an indoor, 4x8 tortoise table? What’s the minimum size they can be put in?*just for reference, it would probably be in something bigger*
I have a 5 foot by 2.5 foot closed chamber. Would an adult pancake do well in it?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yes to the table or yes to the closed chamber? Or both? :)
Yes to both. I have found that pancakes are particularly vulnerable to too high a heat. A small 'Hot spot' that they can get away from is important. So keep that in mind with whichever you decide to use.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yes to both. I have found that pancakes are particularly vulnerable to too high a heat. A small 'Hot spot' that they can get away from is important. So keep that in mind with whichever you decide to use.

Thank you!

Emily Oliveira

Really? Techno cheese, I’d assume they’d do well in a hot dry micro climate. Interesting. I just bought two pancakes tonight and am dabbling in enclosure ideas and would think they’d be very different than the other species I keep. Does anyone else have the thought that captive breeding generations in a specific controlled environment actually hereditarily acclimates species to be able to adapt in a different environment than they naturally would in nature. I really hope that last run off statement made sense. Lol Sauvignon Blanc talking.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Really? Techno cheese, I’d assume they’d do well in a hot dry micro climate. Interesting. I just bought two pancakes tonight and am dabbling in enclosure ideas and would think they’d be very different than the other species I keep. Does anyone else have the thought that captive breeding generations in a specific controlled environment actually hereditarily acclimates species to be able to adapt in a different environment than they naturally would in nature. I really hope that last run off statement made sense. Lol Sauvignon Blanc talking.

As far as I know, pancakes spend their time hiding in shady burrows or mini caves where the temperatures would be a lot cooler, and the humidity would be higher.