Enclosure size suggestion for 2 Greek Tortoises.

Uaeman95

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
Hello,

I recently visited a family member who was gifted two Greeks (I don’t agree with this practice whatsoever). Just by looking I felt like their enclosure was too small; from amateur measuring it seems like they have 11.5” x 17” in a plastic container with a tick paper sheet as bedding and no structure for shade.

I’ve read online that enclosures should be minimum 12 sqft, but frankly have no idea how to go about finding a cage that size or suggesting having a custom one built. They seem more of a novelty gawking gift and are kept outdoors as they wander out of the garden.

I live in the UAE and don’t know any nearby resources to help in regards of getting a better cage. Personally I’d suggest rehoming them but I don’t think they’d want to.

Could anyone suggest applicable cage sizes and easily obtainable materials/cages to get for them? I feel awful for their current state, enough to make an account here to ask for advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,

I recently visited a family member who was gifted two Greeks (I don’t agree with this practice whatsoever). Just by looking I felt like their enclosure was too small; from amateur measuring it seems like they have 11.5” x 17” in a plastic container with a tick paper sheet as bedding and no structure for shade.

I’ve read online that enclosures should be minimum 12 sqft, but frankly have no idea how to go about finding a cage that size or suggesting having a custom one built. They seem more of a novelty gawking gift and are kept outdoors as they wander out of the garden.

I live in the UAE and don’t know any nearby resources to help in regards of getting a better cage. Personally I’d suggest rehoming them but I don’t think they’d want to.

Could anyone suggest applicable cage sizes and easily obtainable materials/cages to get for them? I feel awful for their current state, enough to make an account here to ask for advice.
They should never be housed in pairs, so you need two enclosures. Each tortoise needs at least 4x8 feet. That is 32 square feet each for adults and better if it is larger. 12 square feet would be okay for a baby. You can't buy enclosures like this. They have to be built. Outdoor housing would be best.

Here is the care info for this species:

More info: