Enclosure Size?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wichita, Kansas
Hey everybody,

Well my tortoise has gotten bigger and I feel it's time for a new enclosure. I've decided the best way to obtain an enclosure that fits our specific needs is to design and build it myself. He's about 5 inches long, about how big should the inclosure be? length by width I mean. And then about how high should the sides be? Do they like to climb? Keep in mind I don't want to be building one of these things every year so I want it to be pretty good size. So i guess i'm asking what are the minimum dimensions for a 5 inch leo and what would be the dimensions be for an enclosure that would suit him for more than a few years?

INDOOR ENCLOSURE just fyi.

Thanks ahead of time,
Bronson

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
If Its An Indoor Enclosure, That Your Tortoise is Kept in At Night, or On Rainy or Cold Days,
You would want it to be At Least 1 feet for every Inch he is!
So If Hes 5 Inches Maybe 5 Feet, if hes 3 inches width, make it around 2-3 feet wide!\But Be Aware The Bigger You Make It The Less
You Will Have To Build Him A New One :)

Does Your Little Guy Have an outdoor enclosure as well,
your outdoor enclosure should be as big as possible, so he gets lots of excersise
and so he doesnt get bored and try to climb out :)

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Thanks so much,

Yeah I already read all that info online I was just wondering about people's personal experience. No sadly no outdoor enclosure but I try to take him out as much as possible.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Well If You Can Take Him Outside 3 Times A Week for About 45 Minutes. Or Even Everyday for
20 Minutes Thats Just As Good, Make Sure You Watch Him Tho :)
When He Gets Biggier Tho Hes Gunna Need To Be Able To Live Outside!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Is there a reason why you can't keep him outside? I'm just asking because I think 4"-5" is about the size when it is best to get them outside. I'm not an expert or anything, so just a random opinion. I have one leopard that is 5", and he is in an outdoor enclosure that is approximately 36 square ft.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are building your own, I've always found it easiest to use the dimension that the lumber comes in and go off of that. So 4x8'. Of course, bigger is better. I prefer to build mine as a closed in chamber to help hold in heat and humidity vs. an open topped one where you basically end up heating the whole room with an large enclosure. I usually go 2' high on mine. If its open topped 12-14" high will hold him in just fine, but add the amount of height you'll need to compensate for the amount of substrate you will use.

John

5 Year Member
Bronson said:
Thanks so much,

Yeah I already read all that info online I was just wondering about people's personal experience. No sadly no outdoor enclosure but I try to take him out as much as possible.

I have found that bigger is needed not only for the tort but in my case to accomodate the lighting, I use an mvb a heat emitter and flourescent tubes my tube fixtures are all 4' long and some hold 3 bulbs, since all need too be within 20" of tort level the enclosure has to be big enough to allow me to view and care for ny animals,

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If I were you I wouldn't worry about minimums, worry about the maximum room you can give him and work with that, if you know what I mean. Bigger is better in any case. I would say no less than 8 inch high walls, they can find a corner and stretch themselves up pretty easily so you might want to put something in the corners to prevent that from happening.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Neal is dead on here! If I had to keep a larger species indoors...I would find a new home for him. My second option would be to convert a room in the house exclusively into his habitat! And, of course, we all know someone or another, that has converted a portion of their garage! Good luck and keep us posted!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I feel they need exercise, and small areas to not allow that for a tortoise that size. As much space as possible.

20z2n8g.jpg

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Bronson, Your 5 inch tortoise does not need a ranch to live on! It will be happy in a 4 x 8 for now and a few years to come. If your PET tortoise has to much to roam it will feel like it is lost! You do not have a horse. Enjoy your tortoise.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
myrtle651 said:
Bronson, Your 5 inch tortoise does not need a ranch to live on! It will be happy in a 4 x 8 for now and a few years to come. If your PET tortoise has to much to roam it will feel like it is lost! You do not have a horse. Enjoy your tortoise.

Thank goodness they don't have much room to roam around in the wild. :p

John

5 Year Member
Neal said:
myrtle651 said:

Ha right on Neal, its a good thing we humans found these poor animals wondering around Africa "lost" and put them in little boxes where they are surely much happier and secure, an entire class of reptillian is greatly relieved and possibly saved due to the human machine.:D

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Neal said:
myrtle651 said:

They are now your pets. Dogs were wild at one time. Should I go let mine out back to roam with the wild horses? Yes, you always want to go as big as you can. You make it sound like they need a 1 bedroom and 1 acre yard. If you do not have this, you should not own one. Do you screen all your buyers on the acres they own????

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I notice that when we release our younger ones from the hatchling pens (4x8) into a larger area they seem way more active and stronger.

That is why this forum is so great, one can get many varied opinions and choose the best for them and the circumstances that works for them.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
myrtle651 said:
They are now your pets. Dogs were wild at one time. Should I go let mine out back to roam with the wild horses? Yes, you always want to go as big as you can. You make it sound like they need a 1 bedroom and 1 acre yard. If you do not have this, you should not own one. Do you screen all your buyers on the acres they own????

I'm not sure how you implied that from my post (#8). Bronson originally asked about the minimum size enclsure he should provide. I suggested that he consider the maximum space he could afford to give up...I'm not sure how that could be interpreted as putting his tortoise on a ranch...but anyway I think it would be better for him to consider how much space he is willing to give up and use that space as "the maximum", then build his enclosure in that space. Whether it be 4*8, 3*6 it doesn't matter, as long as it's reasonably the maximum amount of space he can give up.

He solicited my opinion and there it is, I have never told anyone they HAVE to keep their tortoises in X amount of space in order for it to be happy. I bet some people would be shocked at the small amount of room I keep my jeuviniles in. I give them the most amount of space I can give them, and that's my point. If you can afford the space, why wouldn't you give that up for your tortoise?

Hope I've made myself clear. :)

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Yes I took you the wrong way. I own two leopards and two stars. I do not like when I need to keep them inside all day. They are now in a 2 x 4 and a 4 x 6 Just the other day they enjoyed the sun at 86 degrees. That day I needed to bring in my malamutes. Today the high is 55 Dogs are out,torts in! Neal, I am sure you you are a very good breeder of torts. I got it wrong!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm glad you spoke your mind, it helps everyone learn why we do what we do. I think the quote in my signature applies here.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Thanks everybody for your input I think 4x8 or somewheres around there is do-able!

I shall start construction immediately! lol

Bronson

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think veterans like Neal, Tom, et al just have it instilled in them how large your tortoise is going to get...and are just helping you think 'down the line' when you have an 18" 50 pound (or larger) leopard on your hands. None of us are trying to tell you what to do...just offering a little guidance. :) Good luck with your venture and PLEASE keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.