Enclosure substrate for desert species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, FL
What do you find to be the best substrate for your desert species tort? I have an Indian star tort & have always used aspen shavings. Well I think the shavings have started to irritate his eyes so I am looking for a new suitable substrate for his enclosure.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I use decomposed granite for arid species. For a star you can mix decomposed granite with top soil or mulch. I've done that and it works good.

Missi

5 Year Member
Naples, FL
Decomposed granite? That's something new to me! What is it used for? What type of store would I purchase it from? I could add that to some cypress mulch, that would be a good substrate, right? How often would I need to change it out? Thank you!

I should have searched before posting! There are a lot of posts with my same question! I apologize to the Admins *blush*

Missi

5 Year Member
Naples, FL
I decided to go with cypress mulch & timothy hay. He seems very interested in his new substrate this morning! I will regularly check the hay for possible mold!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Lol don't hesitate to ask. That's what this forums is for. I think the admin would agree on what I have say. ^_^ as far as substrate, I have no idea. I just like reading up on Indian starts. My dream tortoise. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.