Enclosure/Substrate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So we moved into a new home and I'm updating my indoor RT enclosure from a 3'x2' tub (I Know.) to a 8' diameter kiddie pool in our new spare bedroom. I was wondering if there has to be substrate in the whole thing? that would be A LOT of dirt (and money) to fill the pool even an inch let -alone 3"-4". So could 1/4-1/2 of the pool be dirt (dirt meaning 70/30 coconut coir and sand) and the rest be bare? it's a soft kiddie pool not hard plastic so he has no trouble walking around. And there will also be a large amount of hay in one corner (so to speak) because he'd rather burrow in that than the dirt anyway. Does this sound fine or do I need substrate in the whole thing? We just moved in today and he's already loving the space in just a bare pool with some flat rocks, hay, water and heat. Thanks :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I really think dirt is the best bet, go to one of those places where you can buy dirt in bulk by the square yard. Obviously a square yard is a little much (approx 4000 pounds) but you can get what you would need cheap, you can brimg a few rubbermaid containers to fill up or trash cans.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would do dirt on the whole thing. However, you could do part deep and the other part not so deep.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Where are you buying the coir? You should be able to get larger quantities of coir from a garden supply store, more economically.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
And actually I lied lol. It's 10' in diameter. I just get bricks at Petco.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
i suggest dirt in the entire area. if you dont want to buy the dirt use some from a yard!

does your new place have dirt in a yard space?
do you have friends or family with yards that will let you take some dirt?
or check Craig'slist in the free section for dirt. I always see people posting free dirt there. like another poster suggested you could take some rubbermaid containers or trash cans and get some that way.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hey Marissa, I got this huge compressed bale of organic, Canadian peat moss for somewhere around $25.00 at wilco farm supply. I mean it a massive amount probably 50 lbs or so. I may need to get more tortoises because I have so much. I mixed some with a bag of organic top soil and it works great for holding humidity as well as providing a burrowing substrate.

Jessamy

5 Year Member
Put a layer of cheaper peat then a thinner one of soil, or add worms to all dirt and latter recycle it all?

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
Here are some pics of what I had set up temporarily yesterday and today.
IMG_20121101_142105.jpg

IMG_20121101_142054.jpg

IMG_20121101_142126.jpg

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
Cowboy_Ken said:
Hey Marissa, I got this huge compressed bale of organic, Canadian peat moss for somewhere around $25.00 at wilco farm supply. I mean it a massive amount probably 50 lbs or so. I may need to get more tortoises because I have so much. I mixed some with a bag of organic top soil and it works great for holding humidity as well as providing a burrowing substrate.

If I got 2 bags of organic potting soil would it work by itself?

Also, to anybody who may know, since it's a much bigger space do I need to have multiple UV lights or would 1 hung in the middle (Or anywhere) be sufficient?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Two bags may work. You could try large, flat flagstone rocks under some of the soil which would take up some of the volume you're trying to fill. If you're wanting to use a powersun type of lamp, one should be fine giving your tort. a basking area.
I think overall temps will be hard to maintain is such an open enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.