Enclosure top ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello everyone,
I've completed most of my first enclosure for my future Redfoot (see attached picture). I realize the humidity requirements of RF's is considerable and, living in the Northeast (where winters are cold & dry), I was thinking of enclosing sections of the top with plexiglass.
Here's my dilemma, as a graduate student, I can't afford to pay $20+ for an 18x20" piece of plexiglass, as I'll undoubtedly need more than one piece. I've considered a shower curtain, but this is not very durable and quite cheap.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• CIMG2983.JPG
    CIMG2983.JPG
    947.7 KB · Views: 82

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Laura said:
i assume your new tort is a tiny hatchling?

It will be, yes. I don't have it yet, I'm waiting until I have everything ready before I obtain it.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
ive got a 10x8 tortoise table for my red foot just keep it wet and check on it 2 times a day i wet it in the morning then again at about 4-5pm then its still good untill the next morning

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Chris: That's a nice-sized tort table. Your new baby is a lucky little tortoise.

It doesn't look to swift, but to keep my indoor habitats more humid I fold together some sheets of aluminum foil wrap to make a large sheet, and partially cover the habitat with the foil. You'll have lights and fixtures hanging all over the place, and the foil can go up over the lights and not be a fire hazard.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
How about saran wrap?? Its cheap and could be replaced when you need to remove it for whatever reason. Plus you can see through it.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
It's hard to tell how big the enclosure is, or how big you want the cover to be, or if you want it to be clear or have holes in it, etc.

What about...
... a disposable poncho from a sporting goods store?
... a big plastic bin top?
... a piece of linoleum flooring? (Roll - not individual tiles)
... a piece of plywood, maybe coated with something?
... a vinyl tablecloth?

Our dining room table has a big table-cloth like pad on it. No idea how much it was. It's felt on one side, vinyl on the other. It would help to insulate as well as keep in humidity...

Hope some of these help!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I used cheap (& no chemicals used) aspen scraps from lowes, a regular stapler, hot glue, and mesh screening to make a surprisingly durable lid to one of my enclosures.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
could you get some 1/2" PVC piping and a few connectors from a place like Home Depot, and make a sort of frame? They make metal u hooks that you can screw into the wood and hold the PVC pipe in place.Then you could wrap a shower curtain around that like a tent? You could use plastic clips to hold it in place in a couple of spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.