Enclosure wax - which oil is best to use

fforfaye

Location (City and/or State)
Notts, UK
Hi All,

Im very new to this, so apologies in advance for any dumb questions! Im yet to purchase my tortoise but Im just prepping the build of the enclosure. Ive decided Im going to melt down beeswax and mix it with an oil to make the sealant for the wooden enclosure.
Is there a type of oil that is best to use, friendly for the tortoise or that I should be avoiding?

Also, Im planning to get a single small male, probably either a Hermann's or Horsefield. Is there a kind of wood thats best to use or does it not matter?

Thank you in advance for any responses :)

Faye

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

Im very new to this, so apologies in advance for any dumb questions! Im yet to purchase my tortoise but Im just prepping the build of the enclosure. Ive decided Im going to melt down beeswax and mix it with an oil to make the sealant for the wooden enclosure.
Is there a type of oil that is best to use, friendly for the tortoise or that I should be avoiding?

Also, Im planning to get a single small male, probably either a Hermann's or Horsefield. Is there a kind of wood thats best to use or does it not matter?

Faye
Best to not use wood. There is no paint or sealant that will stand up to the constant moisture, unless you go to pond resins or non-toxic boat paints and primers.

Sheets of expanded PVC work best and last forever. In your climate, it will be MUCH easier to maintain favorable heat and humidity in a large closed chamber.

The following thread will offer a lot of help. Know ahead of time that most breeders, vets, and especially pet shops are going to give you the wrong info and sell you the wrong products. We've been doing it so wrong for decades, and not everyone has kept up.

Questions are welcome.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Tom is right, of course, you are better off in the long run to make an enclosure out of PVC. Never ever need to worry about the effects of a wet substrate, spilled water bowls, high humidity, etc.

BUT, PVC is expensive. If you are wanting to go the beeswax/wax finish approach on an interim wooden enclosure that you build, take a look at the products (below) that many of us woodworkers use. IGood on all wood, primary waxes are beeswax and carnauba. You could apply liberally early on, let it soak in, buff off, apply more, etc. I would still let it thoroughly dry up before placing any torts inside an enclosure fully covered with this.

I would definitely avoid mixing your own concoction. Full disclosure, the first item I’m linking to does contain petroleum distillates (but they would evaporate). So, apply, buff and fully dry before placing any reptiles in your enclosure.

The below products or a similar ones should be available to you there in the UK.

➡️ https://www.homedepot.com/p/Howard-16-oz-Feed-N-Wax-wood-polish-FW0016/100592963

Another similar product available, that is 100% food safe & no petroleum distillates is this butcher block preparation & or cutting board oil.

➡️➡️ https://www.howardproducts.com/product/butcher-block-conditioner/
➡️https://www.howardproducts.com/files/products/Cutting Board and Butcher Block 2019.pdf

Good luck

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hi All,

Faye
Linseed oil is safe, I use it where moisture is a factor. I've never mixed it with wax but have mixed it with paints because it helps the paint penetrate deeper into the wood. I use the boiled linseed oil because it drys much quicker than the raw oil.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
You are very wise to get everything ready before you get the tort.

Don't let pet shops talk you into buying unsafe bulbs (curly and cfl types) water dishes with steep sides and unreliable dial type thermometers and hygrometers etc. Checking here will save you time and money!!
Don't let them talk you into getting more than one tort either - they don't like company.

If you are getting a hatchling or baby you may be better off with a large viv to start it off, and make it easier to control temps and humidity.

The caresheet Tom gave you is the most up to date you'll find and will advise you on the best substrates, diet temps etc etc so have a good read of that and ask as many questions as you like.

You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful to ID safe plants for food and enclosures.

fforfaye

Notts, UK
Hi All,

Thanks for so much for all the info. Im finding it all very useful. I really appreciate all the tips too. Ive found the info Tom gave really informative, but I think to start Im going to go ahead with a wooden table top enclosure and then if i struggle invest in that instead.

Im planning to get a tort who is a couple of years old at least and was wondering about lone living, I thought they liked to be alone but Im glad to have that confirmed :D

Thanks for all the thread links too, im going to spend my weekend reading through these to make sure Im up to speed!

One thing I was wondering, which breed has what type of personality? My friend has a Horsefield and they said hes very relaxed and chilled out, but Ive seen some of the Hermann's vids online and they seem really energetic and active. Has anyone observed that different breeds have different types of tort personalities? Also does the gender effect this too?

Thank you for all your help with this guys :)
Faye

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Easy one - tortoises are solitary creatures and don’t need “friends”. ? If you add another one they will bully one another fighting for space, food, the best spot to sit, etc.

stephenleon

Virginia, USA
For sealing the wooden enclosure, carnauba wax is an excellent alternative to beeswax, offering a durable sealant when mixed with an oil. When selecting the oil, opt for natural options like linseed or walnut oil, which are safe for tortoises and provide effective sealing properties. As for the choice of wood for the enclosure, prioritize untreated woods like cedar or pine, ensuring they're free from chemicals that could harm your tortoise.