Enclosures enclosures! Of all the enclosure threads! Halp!

Jiriza92

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando FL
Caring for a 1 year old eastern Hermann tortoise--

Done a lot of looking into other enclosure posts and going over Tom's guide (https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/), and still can't decide on what to do in regards for Stevie's enclosure.

I live in FL where humidity levels seem to stay around, well pretty humid. And didn't think humidity would be a problem with raising a tortoise here. Well keeping up with humidity levels is pretty important to the growth of tortoises from what I've been reading, so want to make sure this won't be a problem.

Instead of going through the efforts of building an enclosure, we've decided to just buy one out right. I've come across this setup and wanted opinions on it before making any decisions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HVMPGNG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Now I read on another post that a 75 gallon aquarium tank would work as well. I found one on FB marketplace listed for $100 which is about the same as the professionally built one from Amazon...

But which is preferred? I guess it's all about personal experiences, as if all other requirements are met, my problem with humidity, as I am having currently, won't be the case. Like the correct application of substrate, I read can contribute to that!

So with that? Tortoise house or 75 gallon aquarium converted into a reptile enclosure ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The concept is ok for a Hermanns, but it just isn't big enough.

We talk a lot about humidity here, but it's mainly for sulcatas, stars, leopards, etc. not so much for the Mediterranean species. They need a bit as babies, but t as much as the others shown above.

If you have a baby that Amazon Tortoise House will be ok for a while and a moist substrate and some plants will probably give him the humidity he needs.

MidwestyB

Iowa
In preparation for my Hermanns hatchling, I bought a plastic Christmas tree bin (over 4 ft long) and a greenhouse top, both on amazon.