Enclosures for map turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My friend is getting two map turtles on Tuesday. They're too young to tell gender so no idea how big they'll get.
He says the people gifting them to him "have everything they need," but we all know how wrong people can be!

Aside from the basic info I found here: http://www.theturtlesource.com/caresheet_map_turtle.asp is there anything specific you like to have in a map turtle tank? I'm thinking of the Powersun bulb since it has worked great for my tortoise. Is that OK to use for turtles? :tort:

Also, I find Russian torts don't eat pellets well. Is it the same with turtles? My friend is prepared to offer a varied diet, but I'm wondering if pellets for turtles do have some nutritional value.

Lou

10 Year Member!
The enclosure can be as simple or creative as you want. (As long as things like temp and filtration is followed already). So as long as there is a sizable dock for it to come out to the surface and bask in dryness.

Powersun and other mercury vapour bulbs work great for turtles. Bascially follow the same as tortoises.

As for diet, I have yet to have a turtle that doesnt accept pellets (What I feed is mostly mazuri and some reptomin). They are the staple of the diet, but they do get things like small guppies, shrimps, leafy greens and such for variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.