Enclosures getting too hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Since the weather has been warming up here, I've been monitoring my temps closely. Each enclosure has an MVB as well as 60W regular housebulb for additional light. It is about mid 80's here. I have the windows open in the room they are in. The temp of my house is hitting high 70's. I have turned my MVB's off. The basking spots directly under these were reading, 107F, 105F, 106F, this was at 10:00am. The cool end of the enclosures seems good and is holding steady in the low 70's.

The outdoor enclosure is not ready to house these guys until next week. So, what are my options?

-I could keep the MVB off, just running the 60w. This doesn't really give a basking spot, is this ok? I'm not too terribly concerned about the uv because these guys should be spending time outdoors starting next week.

- Turning the 60W off and keeping the MVB on still produces basking spots 105f+

-If needed, I can try to raise the MVB's. I don't really want to go this route because they are wired to the top of the enclosure. I'm not sure how I would go about raising them.

-I can spray the enclosures down with water every so often to drop temps. I'm just not sure of the amount of water I would need to bring the temps under control. I would be worried I would have to soak the coir.

-Another option, one that I think is probably best, would be to cycle the MVB on and off throughout the day. If I do this, for what amount of time should I try to keep the basking light on daily?

Thanks

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Can you use a rheostat with an MVB? I don't think you can....that's why Id on't use them. I use tube flourescents and incandescent bulbs for heat plugged into rheostats. That way when it warms up I can just turn the bulbs down as needed. Or up when it is chillier. Is that an option for you?

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
What kinds of tortoises do you have? 105F may not be too hot for a basking spot unless you have a tropical/mild climate tortoise like a redfoot..

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Michael Bird said:
What kinds of tortoises do you have? 105F may not be too hot for a basking spot unless you have a tropical/mild climate tortoise like a redfoot..

I have three Russians, one is probably between 5-10 years old, the other two are babies, under 5 months old. They are all in separate enclosures. I have sprayed down the enclosures with water. This brought the temp under mvbs down to around 98F. I don't know how quickly that will evaporate though.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I was having the same problem!!!
I use a separate bulbs though
I happened to have a thermostat going spare (had been on a CHE but its warm enough at nigh not to need it now)
So connected the basking lamp to that, since they still have the UV bulb they still have light...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Can you raise the MVB's up higher? That usually lowers the temps under them.

I agree that 105*+ is a bit much. Today it was 78* outside, and all my Russians were hiding from the sun, sitting in the shade. I have always felt that a lot of times we over heat our tortoises - 90* is the highest basking spot any of mine ever have indoors, even my Sulcatas, and it is plenty.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have been in the 80's for the last couple days, and the days to come,80's and 90's. I turned off my MVB and hooked up a 40 watt incandescent light bulb for lite and little heat. Then I adjusted my CHE. To keep temp in low 80' and one CHE for a basking spot. This is for at night only, day time he's outside. If you got a couple CHE, you could put them in the light fixture your MVB are in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tort can't go outside and things are really over heating, a fan may be an option.

I have to do this on our tropical aquarium on our very rare stupidly hot days to get the water temperature down (A cool fan blowing across the surface of the water works wonders)...

Status
Not open for further replies.