• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So what are your thoughts, every couple of years this topic comes up, and I often wonder why we don't have english as the official language? Now in your own private home and or business you can speak whatever language you want. I often go into mexican restaurants and they speak majority spanish I have gone into several chiense restaurants and they speak predominately chinese. Why is it wrong to say you know when dealing with government business you speak english, why when I go to the DMV there are about a dozen different language tests and info books, yet all of our signs are in english? So am I missing something? how about member in other countries do you have an official language, is it better or worse to have one? Personally i don't know of any other country that does this, If I was to go to japan I would have to learn japanense, I know a lot of them speak it there, but to be respectful to another country I would learn the language.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thats easy, I still struggle with people that reside here and do not speak engish. Enough said, I couild get into HOT water!

dmmj, I give you merit for starting a poll with such a controversial topic.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Pretty much every country in the world caters to us. You can go pretty much anywhere, and find someone who speaks english. When I was in Thailand, I was amazed that it seemed everyone spoke english as well as I. In many countries, learning english in school is mandatory. As far as new arrivals here, the older ones will have trouble learning a new language enough to understand government forms. The next generation are born American and learn as anyone else. In Canada, everything is English and French. It might behoove us all to start learning Chinese. I'm just saying.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
It's really hard for some children in school when they come from a home where only spanish or another language is spoken, then to school where everything is english. Not to mention it's hard to communicate with those parents. It's the children who suffer. It's very frustrating.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I actually just had to research this topic last semester, its pretty scary. A lot of the English only legislation makes it ok for documentation to ONLY be printed in English. That means inportant documents like tax forms or other legal documents would no longer be printed in any language other than English.

I think they mean well with the legislation, it just needs to be very carefully considered.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My parents came here from Italy, through Ellis Island. My Dad had $20 in his pocket. He had to get a job, learn to speak English, and support his family. He never took a cent from the Government, or anyone else, and yet he was able to save and buy a nice house, and feed his family well.
He said it was the proudest day of his life when he could speak English and pledge his allegiance to the United States, and become a citizen. He thought America was the most wonderful place in the world, and studied very hard to learn English. I don't see why everyone shouldn't do the same.

AdamR

5 Year Member
I actually have had several years of Spanish and I can say that I am "Proficient" but not perfect. I have traveled to Central and South America and my Spanish was very useful. Unfortunately, I agree that as Americans we have been spoiled by our democratic ways and we feel that everyone should cater to us. I disagree with this simply because it decrease our international relations. If we do not teach our children Spanish, Mandarin, German, etc.. then when they are running the country we will have some serious problems! I think that instead of forcing High School and college students to take classes, we should teach foreign language to our young ones during elementary school when they are most receptive to learning the difficult idioms and translations. When we force others to conform to our ways, we lose the American sense of fairness and equality towards all who come to our nation to start a new life.............but they SHOULD BECOME CITIZENS!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I also think it's wonderful to learn other languages, and every child in school should learn another language, but I also think that people coming here should have to learn English to become a citizen. They can still speak their own language, just learn English.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
If I moved to another country, I would learn the language of that country. I would not expect them to print or speak MY language in any situation. I know it would be difficult and inconvenient at times, but I would work my butt off to learn the language as soon as possible. It frustrates me that people come here and expect us to bend over backward to communicate with them. If you aren't willing to put forth the effort to become part of this nation, then why should we welcome you?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I agree with people should learn the language. Nothing drives me more crazy when a non english speaking person tries to tell me what is wrong with their computer thinking I can wave a magical wand and it'll be fixed and then gets mad at me because I have no idea what they are trying to tell me. Ironic isn't it?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
As you all know I live in Spain and the official language is Spanish, fortunately for me I speak it fluently, but there are many nationalities that don't bother.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JeffG said:
If I moved to another country, I would learn the language of that country. I would not expect them to print or speak MY language in any situation. I know it would be difficult and inconvenient at times, but I would work my butt off to learn the language as soon as possible. It frustrates me that people come here and expect us to bend over backward to communicate with them. If you aren't willing to put forth the effort to become part of this nation, then why should we welcome you?

I couldn't have said this better myself.

I have travelled the world and yes its true that most other countries do have a fair amount of people who speak english. I also studied in school and learned a fair amount of Spanish. I don't see what either of the last two sentences have to do with learning and mastering the language of the country that you choose to live in. ALL Americans, even Native Americans if you go back far enough, immigrated from somewhere. I have no problem with immigrants. I get a long with them and frequently form friendships with them. But as Jeff said; If I immigrated to another country, I would not expect or want them to cater to my ignorance of THEIR language. When I travelled in Korea, France, Amsterdam, Mexico, Morocco and even South Africa, the language barrier was a big problem sometimes. Never did I expect any of these countries to print every document in English, just to make my life easier. I found a way to make it work and get by. I say that any foreigner that desires to live here should do the same.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
terryo said:
My parents came here from Italy, through Ellis Island. My Dad had $20 in his pocket. He had to get a job, learn to speak English, and support his family. He never took a cent from the Government, or anyone else, and yet he was able to save and buy a nice house, and feed his family well.
He said it was the proudest day of his life when he could speak English and pledge his allegiance to the United States, and become a citizen. He thought America was the most wonderful place in the world, and studied very hard to learn English. I don't see why everyone shouldn't do the same.
Very touching story,Terro. THAT is the American dream. My respect to your father. I've seen you write about him before,and you have a right to be proud of a man like that.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Torty Mom said:
It's really hard for some children in school when they come from a home where only spanish or another language is spoken, then to school where everything is english. Not to mention it's hard to communicate with those parents. It's the children who suffer. It's very frustrating.

Actually it's not difficult for the kids at all, my boys are 17, with a Spanish dad, and a 5 and 6 year olds with English dad, at home we speak English with their elder brother they speak Spanish and all their friends are Spanish,

A lot of expats relocate here with their kids and they are chucked in at the deep end, but quickly adapt, unlike their parents that cannot be bothered or just to ignorant and thinking everybody should speak English!!!

"when in Rome, do what the Romans do"

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I agree that people who are citizens should learn English. The only part about that is, America is a melting pot of numerous nationalities. That makes it difficult, or almost impossible to have an official language. It would be different if people were going to England, where English has been the language for many centuries. We all came from all over the globe, so that's why America can't have an official language. Also, we weren't the first people to inhabit this country. Native Americans all had different languages that set them apart, plus a lot of the country was Mexico. I think we are fine just the way we are. It may be difficult at times, but at least we all have the opportunity to learn from each other.

-Matt

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My experience has been, when in other countries, the folks I meet primarily want to practice their English on me.

But I try to at least learn enough of the language to say polite things like "Please" and "Thank You"...I always make an effort to avoid the Ugly American Stigma.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have occasionally run into people in other countries that speak English, but in every case the reason they spoke English was because it increased their income. They were catering to American tourists. That's great for American tourists, but they are not learning/speaking English to be nice, they are doing everything they can to make money. I don't have any problem with business people in the U.S. Doing the same thing voluntarily. I do however have a problem with the government mandating that we HAVE to do things in multiple languages. I have nothing against immigrants. I know that we are all immigrants. I just think that a common language is something that unites a nation, not something that divides it.

Status
Not open for further replies.