Erratic Behaviour - Opinions? Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMILDIX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hey everyone... I'm new to the forums, but have lurked a bit in the past for information :)

I have a (I think) 5-year old, female Hermann's tortoise named Maeby. I've had her for about 2.5 years and she has always been active and very hungry. We keep her in a huge tupperware with a rock cave, plenty of foliage, a log, heat lamps, water dish, food dish, etc.

Since Spring she has been acting a little crazy. She's constantly propping herself straight up and feverishly scratching at the plastic tupperware. She can almost get her head over the top and her back feet are completely stretched as if she is trying to jump out (which is impossible). She does it most often in the back corner where her cave is which has caused all her substrate to be pushed out. Sometimes I find her sleeping standing up like a Conehead hahaha! She will wear herself out and fall asleep! She also rubs her shell around the perimeter of the tupperware. These noises are very loud and irritating in my bedroom!!!

I'm also finding that she bites more. I know they are innocent little torts that can't always distinguish a finger from food, but she does it all the time now. When we put her on the floor she follows you around quite quickly. Once she catches up she bites your toes! This makes me sad because I love her and don't like to think of her as some nippy, unfriendly pet.

I'm wondering if she is doing this because we let her wander the room. Is she trying to escape? Or maybe she wants to mate? I wonder if she wants more food, but we feed her plenty.

I worry that she is unhappy... has anyone else had a tortoise start acting like this out of nowhere? Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi EMILDIX:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I think your little tortoise is probably a male and he's reaching sexual maturity. Trying to get out so he can find a female in the big wide world.

He behavior isn't erratic at all...completely normal.

EMILDIX

5 Year Member
Ontario
My name is Emily and I'm from Toronto, Ontario.

Ha! The breeder told us they thought she was a girl. I know it is hard to determine for a few years though. I'll have to take a look and use some of your images on the forum to figure out the gender. It will be a hard adjustment calling her a him!

Is this something that will continue for years? Or will it come in waves? Glad to hear he/she is ok :)

Thanks for your input!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Emily:

If you'll post a nice clear shot of your tortoise's bottom shell, including the tail area, we can tell you if its male or female.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
my big red foot female is always rubbing her shell on everything i brought her to a red foot breeder and we put her in with some males for 2 days and now she doesnt rub on things anymore

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i bought a ''female'' redfoot from a petshop but a while ago he is [6 1/2] i think starting to mature.....he shown us his WONGA in the bathtub so it is hard for us to call HIM a HIM instead of HER it really hard after 2.5yrs of being a female its hard to adjust lol....she/he was called lola but now tiago....
i think hes reaching maturity because when we put him in the garden one day he went to a plastic squeaky slipper [dog toy] and started ....yannooo.....
''having fun'' making a clucking nose and headbutting it so i put it in his cage every now and again to let his frustrations out and he always has it when hes' outdoor catching rays....POST PICS!

EMILDIX

5 Year Member
Ontario
Here's the picture! It's a little out of focus... if it's hard to tell I'll take another one tonight.

Thanks for your replies bobbymoore and tyler0912. I'm glad I can find a way to relieve his stress hahaha :D

Attachments

• Maeby.jpg
    Maeby.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 43

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup....sounds like a normal male to me....and the "biting" at your fingers is encouraged by hand feeding...kinda like if you feed a snake by hand it will start to strike at your hand whether you have food or not....and the toe tasting I believe to be common as well...ESPECIALLY if the toes are painted....LOL.....

How often do you let him have outside sun time? They love it ....but if you don't have a secure enclosure outside....don't take your eyes off of him...as you know..they are fast little buggers...LOL

EMILDIX

5 Year Member
Ontario
Wow! Thanks so much for determining his gender. I'm looking at him differently now haha! Weird!!!

I give him a bit of outdoor sun time, but not as much as I probably should. He's so rambunctious lately - he'd probably love it!

bobbymoore - I got Maeby at the Reptile Store in Hamilton. It looks like they are re-doing their site, but you can still access the old one: http://www.thereptilestore.net/home.html

When I went and was showing so much interest in the tortoises they took me into their basement where they breed them. They had a full size sulcata, 4 leopards, and 10 red foots down there! It was awesome!

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
i had no idea they sold torts there i thought it was just a reptile party store ill go check it out today then thanks for that

EMILDIX

5 Year Member
Ontario
Haha!! My bf thinks we should change his name, but it's already too weird he's a boy. I think it should stay :cool:

Here are some pics of my little guy :tort:

Attachments

• BabyFace.jpg
    BabyFace.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Berries.jpg
    Berries.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Chillin.jpg
    Chillin.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 21
  • ET.jpg
    ET.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Tahnin.jpg
    Tahnin.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 21

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm a big fan of oddball names for tortoises. So if he has a girl's name, I vote to let him keep it!

Status
Not open for further replies.