escape proof help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
New to this site.. hi everyone!

I'm in the process of constructing a new outdoor space for our russian tort. - and know we have to escape proof the space. (step 1)

The general plan is to build an enclosure 9'x9' out of brick and wood mostly. We are in the process of digging up the space - a foot or so deep so that we can lay down something underground to make sure she can't get out!

Any advice on what to use?? I've read - chicken wire but am worried that over time it will need to be replaced? - and I'm not digging this hole again!!! So I picked up a garden wire that has 2"x4" openings between wires - but now I'm worried that if she digs down to it, she could get stuck or something.. suggestions?

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm over-thinking this! - just want to get it right for her the first time

maggie3fan said:
I used chicken wire it lasts a long time...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When I built my first Russian pen I used chicken wire in the ground. I had a wooden fence with 4x4 posts every 8'. I cut strips of chicken wire 6" wide by 8' long. Then I folded the wire lengthwise into an "L" shape so that there was 3" then the bend then 3". I dug down into the ground about 4" between the posts and placed the wire down in the trench, stapling the wire to the bottom board of the fence so that the wire went down into the little trench and the bottom of the "L" went out into the tortoise yard. Then I pushed the dirt back over the wire. If a tortoise wants to dig under the fence he goes right up to the fence and starts digging. He doesn't think, "Ok, there's wire out into the yard here, so I have to start my digging about 3" out from the fence." The start digging right next to the fence. The wire rusted out after about 8 or 10 years, but by that time the tortoises were so used to it being there they never tried to dig anymore.

You can also lay some masonry caps on top of the ground all along inside the fence. These last longer, but cost more than wire.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
When I built my first Russian pen I used chicken wire in the ground. I had a wooden fence with 4x4 posts every 8'. I cut strips of chicken wire 6" wide by 8' long. Then I folded the wire lengthwise into an "L" shape so that there was 3" then the bend then 3". I dug down into the ground about 4" between the posts and placed the wire down in the trench, stapling the wire to the bottom board of the fence so that the wire went down into the little trench and the bottom of the "L" went out into the tortoise yard. Then I pushed the dirt back over the wire. If a tortoise wants to dig under the fence he goes right up to the fence and starts digging. He doesn't think, "Ok, there's wire out into the yard here, so I have to start my digging about 3" out from the fence." The start digging right next to the fence. The wire rusted out after about 8 or 10 years, but by that time the tortoises were so used to it being there they never tried to dig anymore.

You can also lay some masonry caps on top of the ground all along inside the fence. These last longer, but cost more than wire.

Also, if using that design, it's not so much of a hassle to dig it back up and replace it. Mine has chicken wire under the entire pen (because it's a small pen) so I am never going to replace that. So far with about 4 years of use there's no rusting yet though.

Great idea with the L-shape. I'll have to use that next time.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I use hardcloth - 1/4 inch - in all my pens and aviaries. It keeps them from digging out and other creatures from digging in. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They sell rolls of 1x2" galvanized welded wire at my local OSH. Its relatively cheap, much sturdier than chicken wire, and lasts forever in the elements. I'm about to buy several rolls for some outdoor lizard caging.

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Wow! Great info everyone... thanks so much for your help! I think - we've done A LOT more work than was required in my back yard... (paranoid about an escape)

Status
Not open for further replies.