Escaped Tortoise just dug up by my dog

Batman

Our young 18 month old Tortoise Shelby was allowed out on a nice sunny day last summer. Unfortunately he escaped and we were unable to find him - until this morning over 200 days since he went missing. I was alerted by a barking Noodle our Labradoodle. Shelby is now back inside and appears at first glance to be unharmed although a lot larger than I remember. He appears a little slow at the moment so checked where he was found and think that Noodle may have dug Shelby up as there is a Tortoise sized hole next to where he was found.

If Shelby was in hibernation should I attempt to restart hibernation or put him in his heated enclosure?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Don't attempt to restart hibernation. Shelby needs to be warmed up and get eating.

In the first instance Shelby needs twice daily 30 minute soaks in warm water to rehydrate him. Once he starts eating again then you can cut back on the soaks.

The first big pee will contain a lot of urate. Don't worry about that; it's normal.

Batman

Shelby is a Mediterranean Tortoise and we are in South West UK.

He seems to be doing well. I soaked him this morning in warn water and he feed on dandelion leaves and other food.. Since then he's been 'runnning' around the conservatory. He also took he first big pee.

Thanks for the advice.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Congratulations on getting your tort back safely!!!! :) And hurray for Noodle!!! Good doggie!!!!! (Sends cyber pats and ear scratches) :)

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Your dog is a hero!
I wish my poodle can find my missing tortoise (not my current one)

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your dog is a hero!
I wish my poodle can find my missing tortoise (not my current one)
Years ago my husband dug up our missing Greek Spur-thighed when planning potatoes. We'd had a really bad winter but he was fine and lived for many more years, until he disappeared one summer day. No idea where he went that time but hope he found a good home. He was buried nearly two feet down!

Brit G

Texas
Oh my goodness... hibernating a tort sounds nervewracking!

congrats on finding your tort!

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Years ago my husband dug up our missing Greek Spur-thighed when planning potatoes. We'd had a really bad winter but he was fine and lived for many more years, until he disappeared one summer day. No idea where he went that time but hope he found a good home. He was buried nearly two feet down!

Wow, they are indeed amazing creatures.