Estate animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I am wondering what plans you may have made for your animals after you pass away? Leave them a supporting but perhaps un-interested spouse, Kids, grandkids.

Are your wishes or interest written down?

I guess if you have a single tortoise as a pet this may not carry much significance for you. But many people have dozens of animals that are essentially worth a great deal of $$, at least in the sense of replacement by species, sex, and captivity status (captive bred, Long term captive), CITES I animal, etc.

If you had three adult radiated that breed regularly, they are sorta beyond a simple dollar value (I'm sure someone could sort it out), the point is, what are your human survivors going to do?

I have not a plan myself, just wondering if any of you do?

Will

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
For now. All the CITES I animals I am in possession of are to dispersed to conservation groups within the native regions they are found. The CITES II, and CITES III, with the exception of platynota, elongata, forsteni, spinosa, manouria, and some others being CITES II those also are to be relocated to conservation groups of TSA Asian conservation facility. All the reds, yellows, hingebacks, greeks, russiansetc... go to specific small zoos I felt were suitable for the time being. Some other South African species will be dispersed to conservation centers in Europe. However myself being rather young and having so many species. I have no heirs (as of yet) and possibly might not have any at all. So time really, is of the key factor for me. But this is always a great question of many tort lovers. Especially the old living ones like, Nigra, Gigantea, and Radiata.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only have one leopard. I told my nephew he was getting him. He said okay. My son, who should be getting him, doesn't want him:(

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My grandson will be getting my sulcata which will be in my will and my daughter and son in law already know about.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
It won't be for many many years but when the time comes hopefully I will have a family member to pass them down to, if not then I will have to sell them off.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock is going to a Grand-Daughter who is 1 year younger than WalkingRock. Eros and Gaia are still in limbo...

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
My 4 Sullies will go to my grandchildren my oldest son is only 20, so no grandchildren yet, Thank god. So they will go to which ever shows interest, responsibility, and ability to meet all their needs.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My gf gives me hell about this. She thinks im the only person in the world who likes tortoises and when i die there wont be anyone to care for them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
My fiancee is also a Biologist, so she would have them, but I do not think she would want the burden of taking care of them. I have been grooming her on prices and avenues to sell, though. I am still rather young, so there is quite a bit of time unless the unfortunate occurs. I would hope to pass some down to my currently nonexistent offspring, but I would likely sell most off at some point well beyond retirement, as they provide an income stream for now. At the very least, and good fortune permitting, I would like my Aldabra to be passed down through the generations. While I might like the business piece to be inherited similarly, I realize that interests vary and the chances of a family line maintaining an unorthodox model such as mine are not of a high probability.

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Edmonton
I have an informal 'Godmother' for my Cherryhead tort. She's loves her, and has a stable living situation, and is obsessive about providing the best care for her animals. At the very least, she would find a very good home for my wee one.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well as for my best buddy Cooper, as it stands he is going to be sent to California to ascott (Angela), as I know she will give him the best possible care as I do now. And if that is not an option due to her job or any other reason, then I have a couple of other friends on her that will be asked. Its hard for me to think about cause even tho I know 4 a fact he will be very well take'n care of, I don't think many people will do what I do as what I do may be a little extreme..

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
If anything happened to me at the moment, I'm sure my fiance would keep looking after Emrys. My plan for the future is to have children and hope they like him!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
I will (generally) leave them to good friend(s) in the hobby. Tortadise's plans have great merit, and things like that are already under consideration, as well. I am already listed in another friend's will to receive all his animals, equipment, and supplies if he and his wife would both die at the same time. If he would go first, I am to help his wife get them all to good places.

Great topic, Will. Stuff any serious keeper should be considering.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
My kids will be fighting over which ones they get, so I'm not worried. ;)

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
My young children have already decided which animals they want when I am too old to care for them. Otherwise animals on loan will be returned to their owner. If my chelonian partner goes first I stand to have many more animals to care for.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A thread like this is started once or twice a year and it is always interesting to see what plans are being made. First my children and husband would have first option on any of the turtles or tortoises. I really do not think any of them will take one. :( My youngest daughter has mentioned wanting one of the houses and I often tease she can have it, but the tortoises come with it. In reality they all would be going to different homes. I try to keep it so each species has atleast one person listed other then the first choice I have for them. The reason is incase the first person is no longer able to take them or perhaps has even died themselves. They are not to be sold. The hingebacks will be heading into breeding programs. The stars are going to be offered first to somebody as a surprise gift (they have often mentioned wanting to try stars). The Russians to a member in here, who has expressed a desire to try breeding them. And so on. Actually I have not let the folks whom I plan to offer these animals to know about it. I want it to be a gift to them when it can not change how we relate to each other in the here and now. (which is another reason I have the list of possible homes).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a note to all...most zoos get their animals from approved AZA places and are restricted from taking in turtles and tortoises from the general public. If its your plan for the zoo to get your animals upon your death, then you'd better be sure beforehand that this is a possible solution.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
I still have about 70 years left in me so ill think about it in another 29 years when I'm 50 life is to short to plan your death!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bobbymoore said:
I still have about 70 years left in me so ill think about it in another 29 years when I'm 50 life is to short to plan your death!

Except life isn't always nice like that and sadly even young folks die.

Status
Not open for further replies.