Eurotestudo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
After doing a bit of browsing through the French forum, it came to my attention that everyone uses the term Eurotestudo when referring to Hermann tortoises instead of the Testudo Hermanni used here (and at other English-speaking forums).

Does anyone know why the French use Eurotestudo Hermanni and Eurotestudo Boettgeri instead of THH and THB?

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Tiago

I don't understand the whole answer but I've noticed that as well. They often speak of the Eurotestudo Hermanni and then of Testudo Boetgeri as though the Boetgeri is not a Hermann but some other species of tortoise altogether.

I don't have it in front of me but Holger Vetters book on the Hermanns goes into these questions. He highlights that different names are used in different places for what are the same animals. As well as that we have the new Testudo Hercegovensis, these tortoises would I think have been Boetgeri before but now they are not.

The French have their Eurotesdo Hermanni in two groups - Corse and Variose. But where do the Italian forms of the Hermanni fit into this? The Italians meanwhile are very aware of the regional variations amongst their native tortoise, with distinct features being associated with specific geographical areas. And the Italian ones really are different from the French - although maybe not near the border!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Tiago,
Eurotestudo was proposed as a new genus for Hermanns tortoises a few years back. The French jumped on it and started to use it almost immediately. It's since been invalidated as a new genus, as Hermanns aren't different enough to warrant them being placed in a new genus.
Around the same time it was proposed to elevate the subspecies og Hermanns to species level. That has since been invaladated and they've gone back to subspecies level.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.