Euthanizing a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
OK, not a pleasant topic, but one that I feel should be discussed none the less.
What is the best way to euthanize a badly injured tortoise or turtle if a vet is not an option? Does anybody know of a humane method that does not involve violence and gore? :(

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Freeze it? Lower the temps slowly to induce hibernation and let it die while sleeping?

Dunno, it's too sad to think about :(.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Taking the animal to the vet is the most humane method.

When my hatchling got sick, I discussed euthnizing with my vet. He told me about two methods: 1.) injection, 2.) freezer.

I went with the injection because I didn't have the stomach to go with the second choice. The second method the vet discussed was reducing the animal's body temperature. He said putting the tortoise in the refrigerator slows down the tort's system until the tort cannot feel any pain. When the system is slowed down and the animal is no longer moving, then the animal can be placed in the freezer where it will die. It sounds horrible and morbid, but it could be the most humane aside from the vet injection. I've done a little research on the topic and found this site which advises against the freezer method: http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/vetscorner/euthanasia.htm

I don't mean to sound too nosey, but whats wrong with your tortoise that it needs to be euthenized?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Nothing is wrong, they are fine. In the past I had 2 turtles that were victims of raccoon attacks, and had horrific injuries. I did actually freeze them, as both of you had suggested.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Shelly said:
Nothing is wrong, they are fine. In the past I had 2 turtles that were victims of raccoon attacks, and had horrific injuries. I did actually freeze them, as both of you had suggested.

I'm sorry to hear about your 2 turtles, but I'm glad that no one is sick now.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Freezing is inhumane. You'd be better off drowning. I cannot imagine a reptile NOT feeling pain while being frozen, the same way any other living thing would feel if in the same situation. Would you freeze a kitten? No.

Honestly, if something has to be euthanized, bring it to the vet and have it done with CO2 That way the animal literally goes to sleep. But IMO a freezer is a terrible way to die for anything, especially something cold blooded.

The only time I have actually heard of an animal that doesn't feel a gradual temp change is in the case of a frog or toad.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The problem is that there is humane in your eyes, and humane to the animal. Rapid decapitation is one of the quickest methods, but rather nasty for the human. Freezing has some concerns, but is relatively easy for the average person. I generally vote for freezing.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Meg90 said:
bring it to the vet and have it done with CO2 That way the animal literally goes to sleep.

I worked for a vet for 5 years, and never heard of that method. How do you euthanize something with CO2?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Its pure carbon dioxide, so basically air without Oxygen. That's what most highschools use on lab frogs before dissections. Layman's term is "gassing" an animal. Its a common practice for smaller animals that cannot have a mask put on them. They are put in a container without ventilation and CO2 is pumped in.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Meg90 said:
Its pure carbon dioxide, so basically air without Oxygen. That's what most highschools use on lab frogs before dissections. Layman's term is "gassing" an animal. Its a common practice for smaller animals that cannot have a mask put on them. They are put in a container without ventilation and CO2 is pumped in.

That is asphyxiation, and is horribly cruel! I can't imagine how that can be considered humane!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
How is freezing considered humane? How long does it take to suffocate? Max 2 minutes maybe? How long is a tortoise in the freezer for? Several hours?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Meg90 said:
How is freezing considered humane? How long does it take to suffocate? Max 2 minutes maybe? How long is a tortoise in the freezer for? Several hours?

If that is your idea, then why bother going to a vet? Why not just drown it in a bucket of water? Pretty much the EXACT same thing!

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
You could have the co2 & freezing at the same time by, Putting the tort in a rubbermade with a piece of dry ice. The dry ice off gasses co2/

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
You have yet to verify why freezing would be considered at all humane.

I think you have a problem with DEATH. Not euthanasia.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Freezing a reptile is quite a bit different from freezing a mammal. You wouldn't hibernate a kitten or a human, yet it's natural for most tortoises. Freezing a hibernating turtle to euthanize it is like gassing a sleeping person. They don't feel pain, they just don't wake up.

After reading that link, it sounds like they advise against freezing because of the possibility of survival even after being frozen (they cite one case of a tortoise surviving for 27 hours in a 100% nitrogen environment.)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I personally think freezing is inhumane, but not being a medical person I can't say for sure, TBH I have never hard of a vet recommending freezing, when I put my cat down about 7 years ago the vet gave her a shot. She basically just shut down one night and that was it either let her last a few days or a week tops or put her out of her misery I chose to end her suffering, and to be honest if the vet had suggested freezing I prob would have attacked him. In all honesty I can not see how freezing even for a tortoise is humane, if I mysel had to do it I would prob choose decap myself it seems the quickest way but prob very very messy. If you really were forced to choose I would prob choose gassing I know it sounds mean and nasty but it is IMHO the quickest and easiest way for a non vet person to do it, you could prob use your car's exhaust pipe and a large bag, but prepare for some strange looks fromt he neighbors. while the animal does suffocate by the time it happens they are usually knocked out from oxygen depravation. so they don't really feel it. just my 2 cents.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Freezing is like hibernation? Hibernation doesn't kill. And I have seen documentaries of little painted turtle hatchlings that hatch too late, and freeze solid before they can get back in the ground. In the spring, they thawed like nothing was ever wrong. I watched it with my own eyes on time lapse.

I can't imagine putting any animal in the freezer to kill it. And I don't think its at all humane. The body systems don't "slow" done, they SHUT down. Over several hours.

How can that not be painful?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
The way my vet explained it was to place the tort in the fridge first so that the animal goes into a hibernation before placing it in the freezer. The theory being that the tort will not feel the pain if its asleep in a hibernation state. That begs the question, does a tort feel pain when its in a hibernation state?

I know it sounds horrible. Any talk of killing an animal, no matter how humane, sounds horrible. This is not a pleasant topic.

The heated debate on this thread is a clear indication of how much everyone on this thread loves their torts and want to prevent suffering.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding hibernation. I was under the impression that when a tortoise hibernates it slows it's body down to a near-death state where it's in a deep sleep. I assumed if the temperature keeps dropping slowly it will continue to slow down until it ultimately stops. I didn't think they were awake during hibernation.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm reading this post in amazement of how anyone would know whether or not a tortoise feels pain or not and when they do. I find both ways unexceptable. I actually think what Madkins said first about the decapitation would be preferable over both of these methods. I'm hoping that Danny or some of the others like perhaps Carl will come in with their insights. I would be very interested to hear what they have to say. Meg that's the exact reason that I would not dissect anything in Science class. I always knew that that wasn't for me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.