Ever Heard of this Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Well I was looking up some tortoises on kingsnake and I came across this type of tortoise that I never heard of called a Weissinger's Tortoises (Testudo m. weissingeri) Does anyone own one or want one? Because Turtles and Tortoises inc. is selling them!!! Just type Turtles and Tortoises inc in the google box and tada! You are there. ( I had to baby proof this post so I wouldnt get banned again.)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They were a subspecies of T.marginata, but right now aren't recognised as they aren't different enough from normal T.marginata to warrant being a subspecies. The only difference I ever heard of was that they were smaller than mainland Marginated tortoises.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have found that stores and people online will make up new and exciting names to sell a tort for higher prices.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree completely with Danny on this one. I had some of the "supposed" Marginated subspecies here several years ago. As adults the females were about 9-10". Typical full size Marginated females are anywhere from about 10-12". I could see no distinguishing difference between the supposed T. m. wessingeri and T. marginata. One of the claims of believers is that the T. m. wessingeri have a single solid dark brown dot on their anterior dorsal carapace scutes. Some of my T. marginata have those same dots. There are few if any other distinguishing features that seperate the two. These Marginateds may be a smaller race based on geographical location but very unlikely a subspecies.
I'm familiar with the ad, which incidently has been out there for a few weeks. If they were a truly recognized subspecies they'd have been long since bought up already, probably by some fanatic like me! LOL
Truth is if somebody pays the current asking price their simply paying way too much for "standard" Marginated tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.