Ever Wonder How Fast A Sulcata Can Grow?

SteveM

Location (City and/or State)
MS
Update - Mikey swapped from mazuri original to mazuri LS with no problem at all, I'd say he likes it better.

ryan57

PA
Stumpdate - 1438g yesterday. 3.17lbs. 7 3/4" long, 5" wide and 3 7/8" high (when not standing of course).

Yesterday was the beginning of month 12 will be 1 year old in March. Should be right around 4lbs. about 1800 grams and ready for spring.

GreekPip

Fareham Hampshire
A couple years back Tom and I split up a clutch...he raised half his way...I did it my way. While Tom's did fluorish...nothing could prepare me for what happened with mine! Here's the thread in all it's glory for you to peruse...study...dissect! In a nutshell, I took ALL of these babies from 30 grams to 3 and 4 pounds in just the first year! And guess what?!?!? Tom and I are talking about doing it again! To be continued...

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/8-new-babies-from-tom-aka-the-bond-girls-maybe.118641/
Hi presumably you need a field to keep a sulcata.... they're not really garden tortoises are they? I would love one but live in a town with a town- size garden. I think I would be looking for a new home for it after 5 or so years?

ryan57

PA
Hi presumably you need a field to keep a sulcata.... they're not really garden tortoises are they? I would love one but live in a town with a town- size garden. I think I would be looking for a new home for it after 5 or so years?
Yes you do. Stump is almost 12” carapace length at 1yr, 4months. Today was back yard for 3 hours in an enclosed 100’x150’ then I let him out of the back gate for 4 hours. Left the corner of the fence here where it is usually blocked off.
IMG_3808.jpeg
Then he went to his burrow. Zoom in on center. Got there in about 3 minutes.
IMG_3809.jpeg
Once he wanted to leave the burrow… 15 minutes completely across the back yard.
IMG_3810.jpeg
When I say all the way across I mean the very small trees on the furthest side. Then he came back to the tall grass and climbed on the wood splitting pile for a while.

IMG_3803.jpeg
Soak then back to the doggie bed. Over 9.5lbs.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
I realize this is old but going by the title and the thread's location on the page I assume it's a place to share age and growth rates.

Mine is approximately 3 months old and has started gaining weight and size quick. He is at 96 grams now and 10 of that has been added in 4 days, 20 were gained in the 7 days before that.
Today after he soaked and relieved himself he was at 96 grams and 2⅞" (7.3 cm).
Hey Steve. Update on your tort plz

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes, they need a huge space which is bulldozer proof. They don't hibernate so with our UK climate also need a large, heated indoor space like an indoor room or a large heated insulated shed to spend the winter or colder wet summer days in. Not a cheap or easy option.