Ever Wonder How Fast A Sulcata Can Grow?

SteveM

Location (City and/or State)
MS
I realize this is old but going by the title and the thread's location on the page I assume it's a place to share age and growth rates.

Mine is approximately 3 months old and has started gaining weight and size quick. He is at 96 grams now and 10 of that has been added in 4 days, 20 were gained in the 7 days before that.
Today after he soaked and relieved himself he was at 96 grams and 2⅞" (7.3 cm).

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
I realize this is old but going by the title and the thread's location on the page I assume it's a place to share age and growth rates.

Mine is approximately 3 months old and has started gaining weight and size quick. He is at 96 grams now and 10 of that has been added in 4 days, 20 were gained in the 7 days before that.
Today after he soaked and relieved himself he was at 96 grams and 2⅞" (7.3 cm).
That’s where mine is at!!!

SteveM

MS
That’s where mine is at!!!
Cool. What have you been feeding yours? Mine started on lightly soaked mazuri original 10 days ago but besides that he gets kale, bok choy and whatever greens in the yard that are still green but not bad for him.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Cool. What have you been feeding yours? Mine started on lightly soaked mazuri original 10 days ago but besides that he gets kale, bok choy and whatever greens in the yard that are still green but not bad for him.
Romaine, cactus pad , soaked maz, stuff from the yard. I feed 4x a day

SteveM

MS
Romaine, cactus pad , soaked maz, stuff from the yard. I feed 4x a day
I have some opuntia due to arrive in the next few days, I hope he likes it. I'm not 100% sure on how often mikey eats, my wife keep greens in with him throughout the day but I only give the mazuri 1 or 2 at a time when I get home.

SteveM

MS
Opuntia came in, he wouldn't touch it laying in his enclosure but he ate it up when hand fed to him. I've got 2 pads standing upright in a huge pot filled with 50/50 sand/dirt from yard and one to feed him.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
How lo
Opuntia came in, he wouldn't touch it laying in his enclosure but he ate it up when hand fed to him. I've got 2 pads standing upright in a huge pot filled with 50/50 sand/dirt from yard and one to feed him.
How long have u had him

SteveM

MS
Here is a chart showing his growth.

Attachments

• chart_maker_pro_1673784714632.jpg
    chart_maker_pro_1673784714632.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 7

SteveM

MS
Yours is 200g? Dang mine is only 143g
He can eat a pile of rye grass nearly as big as he is in about 5 minutes. He mostly just sleeps or whatever he does in his burrow, I can't really see him. He's awake and waiting for food before 5 am (I leave at 4:30-4:45) so I leave him some mazuri and something green and the weekday mornings I have time he gets a bath. When I get home (3-6 pm) he's already hiding, I'm sure he comes out for exercise during the day though. As for food be gets rye grass grown in a pie tin in his enclosure with yard dirt, mazuri original, opuntia, chia, bok choy, collards, dandelion leaves before they finally died, bermuda grass, some other grasses from the yard, kidney clover, some other stuff I found in the yard and on tortoise table.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
He can eat a pile of rye grass nearly as big as he is in about 5 minutes. He mostly just sleeps or whatever he does in his burrow, I can't really see him. He's awake and waiting for food before 5 am (I leave at 4:30-4:45) so I leave him some mazuri and something green and the weekday mornings I have time he gets a bath. When I get home (3-6 pm) he's already hiding, I'm sure he comes out for exercise during the day though. As for food be gets rye grass grown in a pie tin in his enclosure with yard dirt, mazuri original, opuntia, chia, bok choy, collards, dandelion leaves before they finally died, bermuda grass, some other grasses from the yard, kidney clover, some other stuff I found in the yard and on tortoise table.
All my yard stuff is dead.

SteveM

MS
All my yard stuff is dead.
Most of mine is too, anything safe to eat anyway. That's why I'm growing the rye grass in the house. It grows really fast with the heat and humidity of the enclosure. I can give him a fist full of it about every 3rd day, besides that he's getting the mazuri along with collard greens and bok choy from the grocery store.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Most of mine is too, anything safe to eat anyway. That's why I'm growing the rye grass in the house. It grows really fast with the heat and humidity of the enclosure. I can give him a fist full of it about every 3rd day, besides that he's getting the mazuri along with collard greens and bok choy from the grocery store.
So rye grass is ok to eat??

ryan57

PA
Thanks, I'm trying. From the looks of the chart he's getting ready for another growth spurt.
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 5.46.50 PM.png

Stump is approaching 3lbs in month 11. Mazuri LS SMALL TORTOISE FOR THE FIRST YEAR. Stump started half LS and half SMALL tortoise in month 9.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 5.47.24 PM.png

As you see on the right, if growth stays steady, should be about 15lbs in the fall. We'll see...
Notice how the weight becomes quicker as the size is a steady increase?

1674082400646.png
I would also encourage making a simple food calculator to let you know how much to set out by weight.

SteveM

MS
View attachment 353477

Stump is approaching 3lbs in month 11. Mazuri LS SMALL TORTOISE FOR THE FIRST YEAR. Stump started half LS and half SMALL tortoise in month 9.

View attachment 353478

As you see on the right, if growth stays steady, should be about 15lbs in the fall. We'll see...

View attachment 353479
I would also encourage making a simple food calculator to let you know how much to set out by weight.

View attachment 353477

View attachment 353478

View attachment 353479
I haven't went that in depth. I just measure length sometimes, weight once a week and set out enough food I think it will last until I get back home. Sometimes food is left, sometimes it isn't.
Edit: Mine has been eating slightly moistened mazuri original pellets for a couple of months. They are starting to smell different so I ordered a smaller bag of LS.

Last edited: