Everglades Hike---Chicken Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
I decided this past Sunday morning that I needed to relax. So I headed down to the Everglades National Park (ENP) for an easy five hour hike/wade through the flooded prairie. A cold front had past by during the night and so early in the day it was both cloudy and rainy. Later on it became quite sunny and nice.
Being a native of the Florida lowlands, high elevations like this can give me nose bleeds but it is worth the risk...

DSC07019.jpg

Seeing the stunted cypress trees, many of which are centuries old despite their small stature, is never boring. But then finding ones that had been bent over from some long forgotten hurricane is especially neat for me...

DSC07103.jpg

DSC07106.jpg

This one had a native Encyclia tampensis orchid growing out of the old break in the trunk...

DSC07047.jpg

DSC07048.jpg

This photo from last spring shows the typical flower from these orchids...

DSC02812.jpg

There is some debate about this fantastic old cypress. Some say it is just random hurricane damage while others argue that it is a Native American sign tree, bent on purpose as a marker of some sort. The photo is deceptive as the trunk at the first break is easily as big as a man's waist. This photo was taken last summer and that tree was bare of needles on Sunday...

DSC05680.jpg

After about three hours I came upon this sight...

DSC07081.jpg

How cool! An adult female chicken turtle...

DSC07086.jpg

She didn't like me taking her photo at all...

DSC07089.jpg

Maybe it was because I snapped a photo of the striped pants her species is famous for...

DSC07090.jpg

The last interesting find of the day was this guy, a Florida cottonmouth...

DSC07097.jpg

Neat animal but a bite from them can land you in the hospital. I know, I spent four very boring days in one after getting nailed on my right hand when I was 18 years old.
Last photo. Some larger although still rather stunted cypress. This photo was taken early in the morning as the cold front was still dropping some light rain.
Cypress trees are beautiful even in their dormant state...

DSC05306.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never seen a chicken turtle before. The front legs remind me of snake coloration. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful hike with us. If someone held a gun to my head and told me I HAD to move or get shot, I would pick Florida. Are those cypress trees the ones we get our mulch from?

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
Oh my! ele. 4 ft :D I know of beaches here in Oregon higher in ele. then 4 ft. hehehe. I have wanted to visit the everglades ever since I was a kid watching the t.v. show Gental Ben.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
There ya go Carl. Now that's some nice "big boy" writing. I always love going with you on your hike's. Thanks for taking us.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Hey Carl, did you clean off the shell before you picked her up because she looks dirty in that first picture. :D What a mouth she has on her, wow. :p You look like you had a great time out there, did your wife go or just you?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
emysemys said:
I've never seen a chicken turtle before. The front legs remind me of snake coloration. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful hike with us. If someone held a gun to my head and told me I HAD to move or get shot, I would pick Florida. Are those cypress trees the ones we get our mulch from?
That is the very same kind that makes the great mulch.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
EMYSEMYS: Yes, those are the same kind of cypress trees that mulch is made from. Except that mulch is made from the larger cypress found in north Florida and elsewhere.
CANDY: The chicken turtle had some mud on her but as soon as I dipped her shell in the water it came right off.
Heck yes, Barb has some miles under her belt wandering with me in the ENP...

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00762.jpg

She is pretty fearless...

DSC01021.jpg

...as long as I'm with her...

DSC00577.jpg

Other friends have been with me at various times. This is John Brekken with a nice Apalone ferox we found miles from the Main Park Road...

DSC03062.jpg

I often find these guys sitting in water around the isolated tree islands...

Evergladesbox.jpg

See these too...Bionic Barred Owls

DSC01798.jpg

Last photo. Another shot of the N tree...

DSC01055.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to admit I like the pics, and that is one colorful turtle

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm looking at all the air plants on the trees. A very small one on a piece of bark here sells for at least $15. I can't believe how many are on the trees there. I should come with a big zip lock bag.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
terryo said:
I'm looking at all the air plants on the trees. A very small one on a piece of bark here sells for at least $15. I can't believe how many are on the trees there. I should come with a big zip lock bag.

My cousin and I collected a single tiny Encyclia tampensis orchid off a cypress tree like those from a swamp near my home around 1976. After a few years he moved to California and took it with him as he was (and still is) a big orchid grower.
Many years later he sent me a photo of him holding that plant up in front himself. You literally could only see his eyes and the top of his head but you could tell by his eyes that he was grinning. That little orchid grew to be a giant mass that was as large as a laundry basket! I think it had over 300 flowers on it in the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.