EVERYONE CAN GROW OPTUNIA CACTUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Some of us have very brown thumbs, not to mention anything that can go wrong will go wrong in our attempts. :rolleyes: :( Temps are not the only thing to worry about, how about a loose herd of cattle trampling to smitherings your latest attempt at a cactus patch?

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
wellington said:
Its good to 20 below. :) So start planting those pads your buying.

Which type of optunia cactus pads would you recommend to buy and how long would it take for one to grow? I've seen some on eBay but unsure of which variety to buy :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have much of a green thumb either. But they are so easy. Heck even the ones that were just laying in a box, on my porch, that i was going to use for food, started growing new pads.
I don't have to worry about cattle stampede, only an occasional rat:p:D. Luckily they don't eat them.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
wellington said:
I don't have much of a green thumb either. But they are so easy. Heck even the ones that were just laying in a box, on my porch, that i was going to use for food, started growing new pads.
I don't have to worry about cattle stampede, only an occasional rat:p:D. Luckily they don't eat them.

I'm not green fingered either so glad to read they grow easily! What about the type though?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Opuntia humafusa should grow anywhere in the UK with good drainage and full sun. Plant it in a sandy soil.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Itort said:
Opuntia humafusa should grow anywhere in the UK with good drainage and full sun. Plant it in a sandy soil.

Cheers! I'll look out for this one! ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The kind I got, not sure specific name, it's the spineless kind we all feed our torts. Planted in the yard/grass. No special dirt or sand, just planted them. They started growing in the box they came in first. Maybe two weeks to a month before I saw new growth. Then even faster.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Just checked eBay and they do prickly pear and microdasys rufida? Will check humafusa at the garden centre.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Prickly pear, the spineless kind is what I have. The ones with spines will work to, but who wants spines, when they have spineless.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
prickly pear is not one specific plant, it is used to put all the species of Opuntia in a group, so what kinda of opuntia do you have wellington? prickly pear cactus could be many different types of Opuntia. you should post a picture of your cactus.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
ooh i gotcha, Those pads arnt true spinless cactus pads, They have been despined by tortoise supply, so once you have your plant established it will start growing spines. If you want true spinless cactus pads the only person i know for sure to get the real ones from is Coastal on here, His site is coastalsilkworms.com, also the cacuts you have, you must be very carful handling pads straight off the plant, im sure you already experience the tiny spines that you cant see!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I don't know what kind I have either! Len sent me a few varieties, but man they ALL are growing like weeds. They do have tiny little spines, that no matter what I do, stick all over my hands :(

I've tried wearing gloves, burning them, cutting them off with a knife.... I always get those tiny little needles stuck in me!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
opuntia ficus indica is what wellington has growing, according to tortoise supply website.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Itort said:
Opuntia ficus-indicus burbanki. These are a subtropical probably good outside to zone 7. If you live in south probably will grow for you.

I don't live in the south of England. I live up north lol so I'll be growing them indoors! Thanks for telling and showing me where you got yours from Wellington ;) and thanks to the green fingered people for your advice on this! I'm sure I'll find the right optunia.

SulcataSquirt said:
opuntia ficus indica is what wellington has growing, according to tortoise supply website.

Shall I look out for these ones too? I hope my red foot likes cactus pads after all my enquiries of types of ones to get!!! :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Itort said:
wellington said:
Opuntia ficus-indicus burbanki. These are a subtropical probably good outside to zone 7. If you live in south probably will grow for you.

It will not survive the winters in Virginia or Maryland (zone 7) if it is planted in the ground. You have to pot it and let it de- moisturize and keep it dry, If the ground has any moisture in it they turn to mush, Remember not all opuntia are the same, in fact not all zone 7s are the same, some are wetter than others, the zones are set mostly by average low temperatures, not taking ground moisture into account. I have killed a lot of different types of cactus plants, just to see how hardy they are, I have a lot that I can leave planted and quite a few that I keep in pots that in the winter are kept dry and protected from moisture that the low temps don't kill. Last winter don't count, (we didn't have one).;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.