Evidence for animal personalities in two Brazilian tortoises and insights for their conservation

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
A paper on the personalities of two species of South American Tortoises, Redfoot and Yellowfoot Tortoises. I found it interesting and would love to see the testing repeated across other species insofar as it would be reproducible.

I was able to access the paper with the permission of the authors, so feel that sharing a link is in keeping with their wishes to disseminate the information.

Jamie

Last edited:

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
A paper on the personalities of two species of South American Tortoises, Redfoot and Yellowfoot Tortoises. I found it interesting and would love to see the testing repeated across other species insofar as it would be reproducible.

I was able to access the paper with the permission of the authors, so feel that sharing a link is in keeping with their wishes to disseminate the information.

Jamie
I want to read this but just can't enlarge it enough.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I want to read this but just can't enlarge it enough.
That's cause you're old like me.....get #3.0s, they will get you there............in the meantime hold down your CTRL button on the left side of the keyboard while rolling your mouse button upwards....it will make it big, just don't forget to resize it to 100% when you are done...OR EVERYTHING will be big!

The study is going to take another read.....an awful lot of variables so I want to see how they grouped and weighted them since the results relay on that.

Very good....and J, thanks for posting

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
That's cause you're old like me.....get #3.0s, they will get you there............in the meantime hold down your CTRL button on the left side of the keyboard while rolling your mouse button upwards....it will make it big, just don't forget to resize it to 100% when you are done...OR EVERYTHING will be big!

The study is going to take another read.....an awful lot of variables so I want to see how they grouped and weighted them since the results relay on that.

Very good....and J, thanks for posting
Yay.

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
Anecdotal evidence suggests that red-eared sliders have individual personalities observed by their owners.
Some are more predatory than others, for example.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that red-eared sliders have individual personalities observed by their owners.
Some are more predatory than others, for example.
My Redfoot definitely act differently from one to another.
Especially the males.
They always surprise me

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't usually post on threads like this...but I believe I have had experiences with tortoises that were out of the norm...my computer recently crashed and I have lost over 1000 pictures so bear with me...
I moved to Oregon 19 years ago and brought a small Sulcata tortoise with me named Bob. He was my first tortoise and I adored him...I took him around to schools, Petco, Petsmart, Courthouse Park, Avery Park and the homeless camp down by the skate park. Bob was in 3 newspapers and on TV twice. He was well known and very popular thru out the Willamette Valley in Central Oregon...during those years Bob grew to 100+ pounds, he was your average common Sulcata, except that he was so well socialized he had almost human qualities. I literally spent most of my day with Bob...I taught him how to play soccer using a 5 gallon bucket...I'd throw it toward him and he would ram it and push it back at me...he used to be requested at Pet Days at OSU every year, he'd just walk around visiting with people and giving kids rides. He walked along behind me like an obedience trained dog at 'heel'. Oregon is a small state and I'd guess the average Oregonian has never had the opportunity to see a Sulcata as big as Bob was. So if you got to see Bob, you had to take a handout about taking out native turtles out of the "wild", and general care of common torts. I have tried to do the same thing with other Sulcata that I have had and they just weren't social and most had a herd mentality. Mary K has a fairly outgoing personality, but only with me. If strangers are around she won't come out of her shell. I do believe Bob was a horse of a different color and most who met him felt his charisma. I can't retrieve most of my pictures...but I'm hoping a moderator might find Bob's picture and post it here for me...I believe there are very different tortoises like Bob, but they still take training and patience, and l believe if you have a giant species "pet" tortoise with that training they will/can learn their boundaries and be somewhat easier to handle...Bob followed my wiggling fingers, so I didn't mostly need a strong person to lift Bob...I did need a neighbor to lift Bob into the back of the IROC, as much as I have written about Bob it is still hard to explain to people who have never read the Bob stories what he was like...he was different in so many ways...he died in 2015 at 17 years old...he had a bladder stone as big as a softball...my experience with Bob has not nor mostly will not ever be repeated with another tortoise. I was so fortunate to have had those years with him...