Ew-w-w-w-w!!! What IS it??????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I stepped over the leopard fence and walked over to their shed, looking all around the area for any leopards that didn't go in for the night. Closed the shed door then started walking back over to the fence to step out. And YUCK! And YIPES!!! Right there in my path was a snake! I REALLY, REALLY DON'T LIKE SNAKES!!! He was in an aggressive stance, telling me I must have come pretty close to stepping on him on my way into the yard. But when I got back with the camera, and stayed on the outside of the fence, he was thinking about getting the hell outta' Dodge:

snake a.jpgsnake b.jpgsnake c.jpg

Please tell me this is a harmless reptile.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Yvonne G
It is a Gopher Snake, certain subspecies of which are called Bull Snakes. They are harmless and actually good to have around as they eat lots of rodents.

Don't hurt it, and it will help keep mice and rats away from your torts.

I stepped over the leopard fence and walked over to their shed, looking all around the area for any leopards that didn't go in for the night. Closed the shed door then started walking back over to the fence to step out. And YUCK! And YIPES!!! Right there in my path was a snake! I REALLY, REALLY DON'T LIKE SNAKES!!! He was in an aggressive stance, telling me I must have come pretty close to stepping on him on my way into the yard. But when I got back with the camera, and stayed on the outside of the fence, he was thinking about getting the hell outta' Dodge:

View attachment 356219View attachment 356220View attachment 356221

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

View attachment 356219View attachment 356220View attachment 356221

Pituophis catenifer. Gopher snake. Go ahead and pick it up. It might make a half hearted strike or two at you and then it will settle down and act like its been your pet for years. They are one of my favorite snake and they are common in CA. I see them frequently in the warmer months.

They could eat baby tortoises, but they won't bother anything too large to swallow. Totally non-venomous. I agree with Zovick that they are very beneficial to have around for rodent control. They are gluttons and will eat lots and lots of mice and rats when the weather is warm.