exciting exotic fishes found!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
20170806_115159.jpg 1502057578821.jpg As some of you may know. I live in South Florida.
We have many species of animals that are exotics. Some of my favorites are fishes. We've had fish like Oscars and Convicts and Mayan and Talapia cichlids.
But today I caught 3 Salvini cichlids. The bright blues, reds and yellow coloration rivaled anything from the ocean and these I caught in a nearly stagnant freshwater canal.
Then I saw a YOUTUBE video about someone catching Midas cichlids in Miami. Lots of cool fish are in Miami.
I did a little Google research and located the general body of water. The poster would NOT say where he caught these. But I found the area.
When I arrived. I had one number 6 hook. A bag of bread and a simple spinning reel with 7 pound line.
I walked up to the bank and saw a drunk, sleeping to the right and ducks to the left.
Straight ahead was about 6 feet of water and un the water was a shopping cart.
I looked closer and saw an orange object.
Then a bright pink object. I placed a bread ball on my hook and lowered the line. Right away I caught a very bland, dark gray Midas cichlid. Interestingly, where the swim wild in south America, 85% of Midas cichlids are dark and 15% posses the vivid yellow, red, orange or pink coloration.
Here in these canals it seems like it's just the opposite. Because the next two strikes were a beautiful male in flaming orange with a big hump head and then a mottled pink and orange female with a red face.
Absolutely outstanding coloration in the sunlight.
I bought these two home and placed them in a fish tank.
Once I caught two. I saw a dozen more.
Reds and yellows oranges and pinks.
I left. Happy with two. For now that is.
These at the pet shop are $150 and up at this size. I'm keeping them.
The Salvini I gave to the pets hop that bought my tortoises. One because that are also a $20 fish and two, the are not native. So should not be released.
So, they ate still VERY rare. Unless you know the small area. But beautiful Midas and Salvini cichlids are making South Florida home.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, in Pembroke Pines Florida there is a Hooters on University drive.
In front of that Hooters is a very unimpressive canal.
It is full of Salvini and Jaguar cichlids.
I may try to catch some more. They'd be great for my new fish pond. If it ever gets built that is.
I had thought that the first Salvini I caught was a Flowerhorn cichlid.
That would be frightening. A hybrid that can reproduce and will try to kill and eat it's own shadow.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If anyone is in the area or will be, contact me by Email and I'll give you the location of the Midas cichlid community. What to use for bait. Hook number size, etc. But keep it to yourself....More or less;)
You will NOT believe your eyes.
[email protected]

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Our canals are overrun by non natives including, blue talapia, many cichlids, snake heads and even huge common plecos.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Our canals are overrun by non natives including, blue talapia, many cichlids, snake heads and even huge common plecos.
The big Plecos are starting to get caught on rod and reel. Now they are attacking worms and cut bait.
Not to mention seriously eroding the canal banks by digging big holes.
They are no longer innocent algea eaters!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I know nothing about creating and stocking outdoor ponds...
When you introduce wild fish into your pond, do you check them for parasites or diseases?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I grew up in South Fl (broward county) and used to catch all kinds of fish and turtles in the canals and everglades and keep them as pets when I was younger. The non native invasion started with the tilapia, and shortly after peacock bass. Before long you were finding more non native fish in the canals than native.I once caught a 3ft Arowana in a canal while fishing for bass! I don't live there anymore but I do miss catching critters down there lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I grew up in South Fl (broward county) and used to catch all kinds of fish and turtles in the canals and everglades and keep them as pets when I was younger. The non native invasion started with the tilapia, and shortly after peacock bass. Before long you were finding more non native fish in the canals than native.I once caught a 3ft Arowana in a canal while fishing for bass! I don't live there anymore but I do miss catching critters down there lol
The peacocks were actually introduced on purpose.
Not so much for the others.......

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! !Very pretty fish! ! !

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Wow! Ed i didn’t know you did that! That is awesome!!!! I also didn’t know about all those fish being released into the wild. I mean I knew about the lionfish, iguanas and pythons, but even ciclids??? Plecos???!!! Omg!!!! People!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A member from MONSTERFISH FORUM just drove 20 hours to fish my hole where I caught my Midas cichlids. The same area that is all over YOUTUBE with other people catching them......
After fishing two days they caught a catfish and one Peacock bass. But NO MIDAS. Also a bunch of Mayan cichlids.(currently the most common fish)
I feel so badly.
So I've decided to give up my top secret information so that anyone local can try them out and maybe report back as to what they caught and where.
Salvinis and Jaguars are numerous in the small but active drainage canal in front of HOOTERS restaurant on University drive in Hollywood Florida. Use bread balls or minnows.
Midas were in the thousands (still there. But fewer) in the junction of Black creek where it merges with the Cutler/ Tamiami drainage canal. South Miami. Use bread balls.
Oscar's and Jaguars. The boat dock areas at Everglades Holliday park. No boat needed. Just red worms and no lead or cork. Cast out and let it sink slowly. You're also going to get some Mayans. But there's no way around that. Check with other fishermen because these things are good eating and Technically should not be released. Especially if someone wants to eat them.
And if you want butterfly Peacock bass...Any body of water with lots of rocks and clear water. Alkaline rock quarries or man made ponds. Use live shiners or any crankbaits. Broward, Dade or Monroe county.
White Talapia and Flowerhorn Cichlids have started showing up in the C14 canal system in Broward county. Flowerhorns are going to be a nasty new threat to anything left that is native. If caught. Kill. Eat. Sell. Do not release.
Good luck and please report back if you find any new hotspots.
These are mine.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just got a heads up of a spot in Miami where African Cichlids can be found.
Yellow striped. Mostly black.
Others are stripped and have bright blue on them.
I'll be going there soon and I'll take photos.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I also found Dalmatian mollies in the canal here by my house swimming with the more common green sail fin mollies.
I ordered 2 guppy traps from Ebay. I'm going to see what else I find because I believe I've also seen killifish and some type of a African cichlids

Last edited: