Exo Terra SunRay Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtiljen

5 Year Member
I just got one and didn't notice the only way it works is with their "special fixture" only. Total waste of money!! Should have just went Powersun. For those wanting to buy them don't forget to buy the fixture with it or it's just a paperweight. Really tiny writing on the box says it in fine print "for use with exo terra sun ray ballast only".

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
gtiljen said:
I just got one and didn't notice the only way it works is with their "special fixture" only. Total waste of money!! Should have just went Powersun. For those wanting to buy them don't forget to buy the fixture with it or it's just a paperweight. Really tiny writing on the box says it in fine print "for use with exo terra sun ray ballast only".

You can wire up your own fixture if you cannot find one for a reasonable price. There are instructions online for how to do that properly. Even though you have already read the fine print, I want to reiterate that you should not under any circumstances plug that bulb into a standard outlet without the use of a ballasted fixture. As the bulb heats up and the resistance within arc tube decreases due to the vaporization of the metal hallides, the voltage will increase until self-destruction occurs. Don't be tempted.

I like metal hallides but have never used them for reptiles, I have only used the mercury vapor bulbs. The MH bulbs have a greater luminous efficacy (brighter) than the MVB bulbs, however, the ones you referenced will not be as "hot" because of the reduced wattage. This is likely why the MH bulbs are offered at reduced wattages than the MVB, they would simply be too bright for used in terrariums with live animals (potential eye problems). Of course, I do not know this to be fact, I am merely speculating. High wattage MH's are typically used in salt water aquariums for the rearing of various corals.

This would be a good choice for you as a replacement.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00101JIFG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
That's a really good price on that ET Solar Glow! I'm going to order one. I like the power sun, but too expensive to replace 2-3 of them every 6 months. Was going to rotate UV lamps during the winter, now I can just buy each his own.

ashleym

5 Year Member
I second that awesome price! I have actually been keeping my eye on one on Ebay that was cheap, but not this cheap!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
For anyone interested in purchasing non-ballasted bulbs, I will say that a ballast will last much, much longer than the bulb will so if you invest in the ballasted fixture, you can begin buying the cheaper bulbs and eventually you will start to "save" (obviously you're not really saving but you will be spending less).

gtiljen

5 Year Member
I have used the solar glo before. I already tried a regular fixture by the way and it doesn't even light up in any socket.

Sent from my C5170 using TortForum mobile app

gtiljen

5 Year Member
bad bulb maybe?

Sent from my C5170 using TortForum mobile app

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I bought that bulb from the above amazon link. Should arrive Monday.
I will let you guys know what I think of it. Just got one,

Status
Not open for further replies.