Exo-terra Waterfall (For running drinking water and extra humidity)

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
What is the viability of putting in an Exo terra Waterfall into my closed chamber? Is it safe and a good idea or a bad idea. If anybody has any experience with it and how it worked I would love to know. My idea is to use it for running drinking water from the perspective of keeping the water healthy and clean. There would still be a bowl of water for self-soaking, but the waterfall would create a running water system for drinking where the water would not become stagnant and it would be a simple matter of just topping it up. As well as helping with the humidity of the enclosure.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/waterfall.php

upload_2019-1-30_11-40-29.png

Naturally ignore the lizard in the pic.

upload_2019-1-30_11-39-45.png

All thoughts and opinions will be welcome.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've had this thought after trying my homeade humidifier that didn't work so well. I think it would work, like when you get out of the hot shower?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It sounds like a great idea... I would think that your biggest hurdle would be the semantics of the install???

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It sounds like a great idea... I would think that your biggest hurdle would be the semantics of the install???
If my understanding is correct it has a sort of well which is were you put the water and pump then there is a cover that goes over it. So it could work, the only thing that I see that will possibly be a problem is how do your torts drink from it. As the ridges that form part of the bowl would make it difficult for them to reach the water, unless I filed them flat, and then sink the bottom part so that it is as close to the substrate as possible. Mmmm this would then probably allow substrate debris into the water which could cause clogging etc. So maybe not such a good idea after all, unless it will be in there for decoration only and humidity.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I had one for my crested geckos and hated it. The pump is noisy, it gets clogged easy and didn't last 6 months.
Thank you, that is the sort of information that I wanted to know. I don't think I will get one either. Because thinking it through I don't think that it will actually work for tortoises at all.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You could probably buy a small pump and make something yourself much cheaper. In fact I think I'm going to try it. I'm going to install a fish tank heater to heat the water though. For humidity purposes only though I think and hide it behind some plants.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
You could probably buy a small pump and make something yourself much cheaper. In fact I think I'm going to try it. I'm going to install a fish tank heater to heat the water though. For humidity purposes only though I think and hide it behind some plants.
I saw a post on here but an old thread where they created a well with stones and had a waterfall running of a stone. In essence the pump, pumped the water from the well they created and up and over a sort of rock ledge. Which might be worth a look at. I wonder how long it lasted?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town