Explanation of turtle behavior.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Hi, everyone. I was wondering if anyone could give me an explanation as to what behavior my map turtle is displaying to my RES. I keep my eye on them to make sure he doesn't get hurt and to me, the map doesnt appear to be trying to hurt him. Any ideas?

My Map fluttering at my RES part 2:

Map turtle fluttering claws at baby RES:

My map fluttering at my RES part 3:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
My guess is bullying, mental & or physical, but I am not familiar with water turtles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think its time to separate them. Too bad because that's a very nice aquarium set up. But the map turtle is showing aggression. The fluttering is what they do prior to breeding, but in this instance I'd say it's just aggression and he's trying to intimidate the smaller turtle.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
The weird part about it is that when they're on their basking dock they lay on/with eachother and they seem like best friends but when they get into the water together (only sometimes) will the map do his little fluttering dance. What will this aggressive behavior turn into? Will the map try to hurt the RES or is the dance as far as it will go?

promisetolove

5 Year Member
What size is ur tank? If the map feels he doesn't have enough space this could be a reason.