Exploring the possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPWags

5 Year Member
Hi,

My son and his fiance are both embarking on teaching jobs. They would like a pet that is relatively low maintenance but can be educational and help them develop their nurturing skills.

I have read a little about tortoises, but am finding it difficult to get specifics as to which breed to settle on. I am thinking about purchasing one for a graduation present.

We live in Michigan. They will be living with me in a 1600 square foot condo until they can settled.

Can you recommend a breed(s) that we should consider? We are only interested in land breeds by the way.

Any advice is appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi BP, and Welcome to the Forum!

As you have found out, there are many species of tortoise. If your son is going to want to keep the tortoise in a classroom, then I'd like to suggest either a box turtle or a redfooted tortoise. Both of these species require low light and minimum UV.

The other species, like Greeks, Russians, sulcatas, etc. would need more actual sunshine and probably wouldn't do well in a classroom.

(My opinion)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I second the bearded dragon, or a crested gecko, which so far for me have been incredibly easy to care for and still rewarding. Their environmental requirements are easy to meet (normal household temp and humidity are usually adequate) they don't require sunlight or uvb or basking spots and readily breed in captivity. They look cool too.

A tortoise is an advanced pet that can outlive its owner if properly cared for. Proper care however can be difficult, especially in northern states, in my humble opinion.

If someone really insists on a tortoise the smaller size of russian, greek and hermann's tortoises makes them much more doable (also in my humble opinion) than the larger tropical species like redfoots, sulcatas, and leopards, etc...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I normally believe if you have the room and means (money) you can have any tortoise you want. However, in this situation, a class room, I agree that a bearded dragon lizard would be better then tortoise. The beardies are fantastic lizards. If you (they) insist on a tortoise, I would also go with the smaller Russians, hermanns, Greeks.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would go with the lizards. Tortoise are way to much work for a classroom. And they can get smelly if you slack off. So Monday after a three day weekend not a happy smell in the room.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I also believe a lizard would be better, though not necessarily a bearded dragon. I think the blue tongued skink lizard would be a much better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.