Exporting pet box turtle

FritzTheBoxie

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
Hello everyone!
A year ago I found a box turtle in my yard. He was in rough shape so I brought him to a reptile vet and rehabber who informed me that this is a Three-Toed Box Turtle not native to Wisconsin. He determined this is a released/lost pet that should not be released into the wild. After looking for its owners in the neighborhood and via Humane Society (in vain), I decided to name him Fritz and really dug into researching his optimal care. Today he is a healthy turtle who lives outdoors, gets a species appropriate diet, comes in for the winter and hibernates safely for 3-4 months.

Now to my question: next year I am planning to move back to Germany. Of course, I want to take all my pets with me - leaving them behind, including Fritz, is not an option. I cannot bare the idea of leaving him behind and him one day ending up in some small tank... Thus I am starting to collect as much info as I can. What are the tips and tricks to take a 3-toed (pet) out of Wisconsin to Germany, or if easier, other parts of Europe?

Thank you for reading this rather long post!

IMG_4123.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi and welcome from Texas. I have only done flying across the Atlantic with my dog almost 30 yrs ago. Reptiles maybe different. I think leaving the US with the tort should be ok, it's the EU rules and regs about bringing animals in that I'd be worried about. As for the travel itself, call different carriers see what they say. Call the German customs too. Wishing you best of luck on this

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Can't help with your question, but a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Fritz. :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello everyone!
A year ago I found a box turtle in my yard. He was in rough shape so I brought him to a reptile vet and rehabber who informed me that this is a Three-Toed Box Turtle not native to Wisconsin. He determined this is a released/lost pet that should not be released into the wild. After looking for its owners in the neighborhood and via Humane Society (in vain), I decided to name him Fritz and really dug into researching his optimal care. Today he is a healthy turtle who lives outdoors, gets a species appropriate diet, comes in for the winter and hibernates safely for 3-4 months.

Now to my question: next year I am planning to move back to Germany. Of course, I want to take all my pets with me - leaving them behind, including Fritz, is not an option. I cannot bare the idea of leaving him behind and him one day ending up in some small tank... Thus I am starting to collect as much info as I can. What are the tips and tricks to take a 3-toed (pet) out of Wisconsin to Germany, or if easier, other parts of Europe?

Thank you for reading this rather long post!

View attachment 212367
I saw you didn't get any replies. I am not an expert on exporting to Germany, but a brief internet search on German laws in question show that it is legal and allowed to bring up to 5 pets that are considered household items with you when you move. Turtles are included in the accepted types, but must be shown not to be endangered species. The German Customs Office is the agency in charge of ensuring laws are complied with. I suggest you contact them. I believe there is a requirement that the turtles arrive at an authorized entry point and can be inspected to ensure they are not an endangered species. YOu will probably want to box them up as you would if you were shipping a reptile and simply check them on the plane with you.

Good luck.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
@Tom has a lot of experience with transporting animals.