Extra scute in Indian star okay? split scute ok?

labanog

Location (City and/or State)
ca
Hi thinking to add another indian star to my tort family, but noticed there seems tobe an extra scute? kinda make the pattern look different.

1. is this okay, will this affect the health?

2. if they breed would extra scute effect the offsprings?

3. do the xtra scute go away? or the pattern of the shell becomes normal later on?

thank you

Attachments

• 517057A4-6814-4E99-8C9C-A0C2A0CA0B9D.jpeg
    517057A4-6814-4E99-8C9C-A0C2A0CA0B9D.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
  • E821D3EA-85D2-4932-8A83-79D8CEDDF1FB.jpeg
    E821D3EA-85D2-4932-8A83-79D8CEDDF1FB.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi thinking to add another indian star to my tort family, but noticed there seems tobe an extra scute? kinda make the pattern look different.

1. is this okay, will this affect the health?

2. if they breed would extra scute effect the offsprings?

3. do the xtra scute go away? or the pattern of the shell becomes normal later on?

thank you
1. It is okay and doesn't affect health in any way.
2. Maybe. Sometimes extra scutes are from high incubation temps. Sometimes they are based in genetics. Did this tortoises mother or father have any split scutes? Any of its siblings?
3. Extra scutes do not go away. It will be like this for life.

Reactions: Ink

labanog

ca
1. got it thanks tom, would you say the shell looks abit dry? or its seems normal to you? they are supposed tobe 1yo as per the seller

2. unfortunaly I wouln’t know as the seller just got it from someone else also. are Indian Star w extra scute less liked? sine their pattern will not be the nice pattern.

hi tom do you have older Indian star or burmese w extra scute? so i have an idea how they will age over time? would appreciate and love to see if you have any.

3. okay got. just wondering how the extra scute effect over time as they become bigger. are they still nice pattern when entering adulthood? or it would still be abit odd shape like in the pic?