Extremely Dry Urates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc93

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Today I noticed my Greek hatchling had a small obstruction in her anus, and upon digging through the forum I believe she had dry urates. Can somebody confirm?

I also read that too much spinach can lead to this, and she has been eating spring mix which sure enough has spinach in it. I will be sure to cut that out of the diet and mix in the other greens like kale and collared greens.

Luckily she passed it as soon as she had a warm soak, and there were a ton of feces following. I was shocked that the obstruction was larger than her head! Amazing how much torts can tolerate. She has access to a soaking dish all day, but I will keep a closer eye on her. Luckily she is still incredibly active.

Attachments

• Photo Aug 11, 6 15 51 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 11, 6 15 51 PM.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Photo Aug 11, 6 22 16 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 11, 6 22 16 PM.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo Aug 11, 6 22 39 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 11, 6 22 39 PM.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Photo Aug 11, 6 23 26 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 11, 6 23 26 PM.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 31

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does she actually use the soaking dish? I would suggest you soak her every day to every other day for 20-30 minutes in warm water.

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She has been using the dish, I can tell because she always leaves bits of substrate and sometimes urates or feces in the water. But I will ramp up the soaking schedule and make sure the water is a little warmer than it currently is, thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would suggest that you do soaks daily in a dish that she can not crawl out of and I would make sure that the soaks are no less than 30 minutes....I would not leave it to her to soak herself at this point...due to what she produced there for you it is apparent she is not soaking herself enough...also, yes too much spinach and other foods high in oxalates can create this problem as well, especially if the tort is a bit dry in addition to the diet...

Status
Not open for further replies.