Eye infection/irritation advice?

ctkee57

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, I have a 2 year old Sulcata named Milo and this morning when he woke up he was walking in his enclosure with both of his eyes being red, swollen, and having some tears on his face. Needless to say I was shocked and did plenty of reading on the topic.

Since this morning his eyes have returned fairly to normal since we took him out of his enclosure and I think his eyes are getting irritated from his bedding which is Timothy Hay and newspaper which he is constantly burrowing in, but seems very coarse to me personally.

Has this happened to anyone else? I recently picked up some eye drops from a local pet store and haven't applied them yet because his eyes returned back to normal and he was even eating and walking around so he seems in good spirits.

I would love and appreciate any advice you could share with me! Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'd be willing to bet you're using one of those spiral bulbs, right? The spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs are bad for tortoises' eyes. It causes something akin to snow blindness. Once you turn off the light and quit using it, the eyes start to get better. In the mean time, use the ointment your getting to sooth the eyes.

If you're using timothy hay and newspaper for bedding (substrate), then you obviously haven't read Tom's care sheets. Please, for the sake of your tortoise, go to the sulcata section and read the "Important Threads" at the top of that section. Your tortoise will thank you for it, and will grow to be a big, sassy, healthy animal. (Newspaper and hay are NOT good substrates)

Can we see a picture of your habitat?