Status
Not open for further replies.

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Hi All!

Sorry this is long.

Happy to finally find an active Star forum. I have 3 Indian Star's, Lyra F 3.5 yrs, Orion M 3.5 yrs & Ringo M 7 yrs. This post concerns Ringo.

I recently adopted Ringo and am his 3rd caretaker. I was told that he was blind in his left eye from an infection he had gotten a year prior and that he frequently had an inflamed right eye. (pic 1) He was not eating and his female companion had recently died. He was kept with a Russian tort. The last owner's vet treated him with Baytril injections and Baytril spray (never have heard of spray) into his good eye just prior to me picking him up in the beginning of Dec.

When I took him out of his traveling box I noticed that he had what looked like pine wood shavings (confirmed after receiving email reply from the former owner) crammed down into his neck and leg areas. His left eye was extremely swollen, inflamed and he had a good size hole that was filled with dried over puss. (pic 2 & 3) His right eye was slightly red.

I immediately got advice from two long time tort keeper friends and started treating him with teramycin powder/water soaks for several days, flushed his eyes with saline and applied teramycin ointment twice a day. I got him into my reptile vet within a few days. By this time the puss scab had fallen off from the ointment and he had an open hole which looked to be where the eye had bin. The vet scrapped out the remaining puss, thought that the eye was gone and recommended that I continue with my treatment and schedule an appointment to cut out the remaining infected tissue and stitch his lid shut. This would have required sedation. Home we went where I kept him on a sterile substrate of paper towels to help keep anything form getting into the wound.

Within a week Ringo began eating again and one morning I had a wonderful surprise of an eye peaking out from a now functioning lower lid. Within 2 weeks there was noticeable improvement in the inflammation and swelling. We returned for our follow up vet appointment and the Doc was pleasantly surprised with Ringo's improvement and the fact he had an eye after all. He noted that the retina looked to be in good shape when viewed.

It is now 2 months later and I still treat him twice a day. His upper eye lid is healing over, the redness is down but he still has a much larger than normal eye area. His lids function. He still does not seem to see out of the eye. He is a good eater and is very active. He is now with the other Star's and on coconut bark. I may try aspen bedding as it's less expensive. (pic 4)

Have any of you seen something like this before? How did you treat?

I am assuming that the upper lid will scab, eventually fall off and that he will have new skin growth underneath?

What are your thoughts concerning his regaining site in the eye?

Do you think this could have been caused by long term exposure to pine shavings or just improper husbandry.

Thanks,
Misty

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
pic 1
vgj01x.jpg

pic 2
1p84ds.jpg

pic 3
oppyt4.jpg

pic 4
v7v0ux.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Wow Misty, that looks painful! Glad you are taking such good care. I can't offer any advice but welcome to the forum he is beautiful!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Misty, you done good. I think it was due to both bad husbandry and being keep on pine. I avoid any soft wood substrate like the plague for any of my animals. Keep up the good work, I think he has a good home now.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
aw what a sweetheart! no advice here, either, but you should be proud of what you've done for him!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You've done a great job with Ringo. I too think it was the husbandry and the pine shavings that did that.
You might now want to swith to Vetropolycin for his eye. It's an antibiotic eye ointment. I use it and it works great.

Danny

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Itort said:
Misty, you done good. I think it was due to both bad husbandry and being keep on pine. I avoid any soft wood substrate like the plague for any of my animals. Keep up the good work, I think he has a good home now.

I was using coir/sand mix with all my smaller torts but finally got tired of them always having the stuff in their food. On a whim I changed over to coconut bark in Dec. The Star's and Leo's seem to like it as they'll bury themselves halfway in under the heat lamp or in their hides. Expensive so not sure I'll continue using it.

What do you use as a substrate?

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
egyptiandan said:
You've done a great job with Ringo. I too think it was the husbandry and the pine shavings that did that.
You might now want to swith to Vetropolycin for his eye. It's an antibiotic eye ointment. I use it and it works great.

Danny

Hi Danny,

Have you used the Vetropolycin with Hydrocortisone? Ringo's still has quite a bit of swelling around the eye area so I'm thinking the steroid might be beneficial. Can you purchase this online without a prescription?

Thanks,
Misty

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I use hay over reptile carpet though I won't suggest it for Ringo right now with the eye infection. Have you tried cypress or hardwood mulch (organic of course).

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No I've never used it with hyrdrocortisone. I don't think you can get it on-line, but I've never looked as my vet always has it and it's not very expensive and the vet is 5 minutes away. :D

I use shredded aspen as a substrate.

Danny

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
egyptiandan said:
No I've never used it with hyrdrocortisone. I don't think you can get it on-line, but I've never looked as my vet always has it and it's not very expensive and the vet is 5 minutes away. :D

I use shredded aspen as a substrate.

Danny

Hi Danny,

Asked the vet for the Vetropolycin and possible steroid. He prescribed NPD Ointment. Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone (they called it BNP with Dex.)

It has two of the same antiobitics that the Vetropolycin has. I'll update Ringo's status in a week or so.

Misty

http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/HealthGuide/Medications/Medication.aspx?mid=11547

http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/HealthGuide/Medications/Medication.aspx?mid=10856

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
A few new pictures of Ringo Star. I still have to keep a watch for eye irritation and swelling but he is doing really well. I am so amazed at how his left eye lid healed. Take a look back at the pictures in the beginning of this thread and you'll go wow! I would like to think that he is a much happier tort since I adopted him back in Dec.

10shy0n.jpg

6y1hlg.jpg

554108.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Wow Misty he looks great! Good job!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Misty, I have been following your thread from the beginning but did not post as I know nothing about stars. But from the beginning my heart went out to you and Ringo. What a fantastic job you have done with him. He looks the picture of health now and you should be proud, you have given him his life back. Congratulation to both you and Ringo. He looks Healthy, Happy and Wonderful. Thank you for the update.

101isthebest

i hope ur tort is doing much better. the eye infection looked horrible, but she looks better.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Wow !! That is an amazing shell ... VERY glad to see he is doing better :)

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Thanks guys! Ringo is doing great. He has regained the sight in his left eye as he will now shy away if you approach him from that side. He also looks to have never had such a severe eye infection. The healing ability of these creatures really is incredible.

I'll try to post some updated photos of him and the entire Star gang next week when I'm back home.

Misty in NM
7 Star's
5 Sulcata's
1 Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.