Eye problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveh219

5 Year Member
I have a young sulcata baby. Probably about 4 inch shell length. Her right eye is normal and the left eye is slightly shut, its never been fully open like the right eye. No discharge or anything like that, just the left eye seems to not be opened as wide. I was wondering if this is a concern?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave:

There's a product on the market for animals called Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment. It is a wonder drug and works miracles on eyes. See if you can find it and apply it to the eye two or three times a day. Clears problems right up.

You can get it from your vet or from a feed store (cattle and horse feed).

eyeointment.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it does indicate a problem. Are you using one of those coil type florescent UV bulbs? That could do it. Low temps or dehydration could contribute to it too. Diet, calcium deficiency, and lack of sunshine or UV might also cause something like that. It could also be a mechanical injury. How long have you had the tortoise and how long has it been this way? The eyes are a very good indicator of tortoise health. Whenever you see a problem with the eyes it should be cause for concern.

Yvonne's suggestion should clear up the symptom, but what is the real problem?

Daveh219

5 Year Member
I have had her for about 2-3 months now and its been like this since day one. I ordered her from a breeder online. It has gotten better with daily soaks and a better diet. The eye is about 3/4 open.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But Tom raises some good points. What kind of light are you using?

Daveh219

5 Year Member
Im using a 160 watt zoomed powersun bulb. Its on for 12 hours a day and at night I use a 100 watt infrared night light.

Status
Not open for further replies.