Eyes are closed (adult russian)

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hello everyone!
I took Louie to the vet and the vet said he was malnourished from only eating one thing for so long before coming into my ownership. The vet said that he closes his eyes because of that. I just started him on daily soaks and a dollop of baby food every day, and he's only opened his eyes in the sun and when he's getting soaked. I was wondering what I could do to help him keep his eyes open. He closes his eyes even when there's low lights, but still moves around a fair bit. I'm trying to slowly introduce lettuces and weeds into his diet so he doesn't hurt his stomach, but I know that will take a long time. Any advice on these problems?
Louie and Gracey

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Could you get some Mazuri pellet food? You want the old formula, not the LS variety. You'd probably have to order it online. It's a good food.

You could also get the ZooMed pellets...unfortunately, I don't remember what it's called.

Someone will come along with more suggestions.

Denver, Colorado
Could you get some Mazuri pellet food? You want the old formula, not the LS variety. You'd probably have to order it online. It's a good food.

You could also get the ZooMed pellets...unfortunately, I don't remember what it's called.

Someone will come along with more suggestions.

20200517_164638 (1).jpg
Is that what you're talking about? If so, how would I get Louie to eat them?

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
View attachment 294699
Is that what you're talking about? If so, how would I get Louie to eat them?
Hi, definitely not a expert, but I've read a fair amount on here. Maybe you could try soaking a little bit so they're kind of mushy and chopping up the food your tortoise used to only eat into really thin strips? You'd mix the tiny amount of mushy pellets in with the food and increase gradually every day. Others will probably come soon with better ideas.
Hope things get better soon!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think that's it. It doesn't say anything that I could read about LS.

There's nothing wrong with LS if you get it. It's just that many torts don't like it, while most torts love the original formula.

And yes, you soak a pellet in water for about 10-15 min until it's mushy. Then you mix it in with his regular food. After a few times he gets used to the new taste and hopefully, loves it.

We already talked about your UVB light, didn't we? I don't remember...compact or curly type UVB bulbs often hurt babies' eyes. I don't know about an adult, but if you are using the wrong kind it would be worth a try.

Denver, Colorado
I think that's it. It doesn't say anything that I could read about LS.

There's nothing wrong with LS if you get it. It's just that many torts don't like it, while most torts love the original formula.

And yes, you soak a pellet in water for about 10-15 min until it's mushy. Then you mix it in with his regular food. After a few times he gets used to the new taste and hopefully, loves it.

We already talked about your UVB light, didn't we? I don't remember...compact or curly type UVB bulbs often hurt babies' eyes. I don't know about an adult, but if you are using the wrong kind it would be worth a try.
I'm currently saving up for a new light... my ceramic heater broke recently and I unfortunately have to use a regular light bulb. What bulbs would you recommend?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The only UVB worth the money is a tube type fluorescent.

Since he's an adult, if you can take him outside in the sun for an hour or two, 2x/week, you don't need additional UV. In Denver, I think that could be done in the summer at least.

The rest of the year I'm not sure about. I certainly don't think you will brumate him this year. He has to be super healthy for that.

Anyway, right now, don't worry about UVB. Take him outside in a secure enclosure in sunlight. But make sure there is shade available so he doesn't overheat.