Eyes going puffy and red

Joe Stevens

Location (City and/or State)
Neptune
Hello! I’ve had my Greek tortoise Sheldon for about 3 Years now and recently while letting him wander around the garden and my house, I’ve noticed that randomly he will stick his head into his shell very quickly then he will bring it out slowly to reveal that is eyes have gone all puffy, he then shoots in back in again and usually covers it with his arm, after a while he will stick his head out without his eyes being puffy and start walking around again. What’s happening and is it something I need to get checked?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What type of UVB bulb do you have?

Is it a compact CFL (like a low energy light bulb)?

If so, turn it off immediately. These bulbs consistently cause eye problems in tortoises. Your tortoise will be fine without UVB for a few days while you source a tube UVB bulb to replace it.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
What type of UVB bulb do you have?

Is it a compact CFL (like a low energy light bulb)?

If so, turn it off immediately. These bulbs consistently cause eye problems in tortoises. Your tortoise will be fine without UVB for a few days while you source a tube UVB bulb to replace it.

It was marketed as a “reptile bulb” if it could still be a compact CFL how would I check

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Compact CFLs look like these
FEBEF134-BBA6-47F6-9A74-A7D4B30A496E-4268-0000039EBA8FA138_tmp.jpg
F38DEBC7-45BB-4109-AF03-E455424F7C5E-4268-0000039EC1CBD753_tmp.jpg

They are marketed as suitable for reptiles, but it doesn’t take much searching on TFO to show they cause problems with tortoises

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Compact CFLs look like these
View attachment 221002
View attachment 221003

They are marketed as suitable for reptiles, but it doesn’t take much searching on TFO to show they cause problems with tortoises

Yes one of them looks like that it is the one of my two lights, the one that is only on during the day. Would I need to replace or do tortoises not really need it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have another source of uvb then you don't need to replace the coil bulb, but stop using it. Most stuff labeled for reptiles is junk or bad. Just be sure you have correct temps.
Also, letting him roam the floor is a very bad idea. Too cold, can eat dust bunnies, etc that can cause big problems or can get stepped on or squished in a door. Seen them all happen on this forum. They need a proper sized enclosure with proper heat and humidity and they need to only roam that enclosure or the one you should have set up outside also.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
If you have another source of uvb then you don't need to replace the coil bulb, but stop using it. Most stuff labeled for reptiles is junk or bad. Just be sure you have correct temps.
Also, letting him roam the floor is a very bad idea. Too cold, can eat dust bunnies, etc that can cause big problems or can get stepped on or squished in a door. Seen them all happen on this forum. They need a proper sized enclosure with proper heat and humidity and they need to only roam that enclosure or the one you should have set up outside also.

Ok I usually just take him out but he has a bigger area around the house, his house is big enough thanks so some people on here helping me decide the proper size. I’ll keep him in his home now that I know this!