Eyes not openning up properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billsa

5 Year Member
An someone help as I am worried about my tortoise she is less than a year old and her eyes look as though they sunken and not opened properly I have bathed them daily I also have another tortoise and her eyes are ok

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
While you're waiting for your vet appointment, you can soak the tortoise in warm water for about 30 minutes every day. Add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins to the soaking water. The soaking helps the eyes to open.

Billsa

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
While you're waiting for your vet appointment, you can soak the tortoise in warm water for about 30 minutes every day. Add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins to the soaking water. The soaking helps the eyes to open.

Thank you for your reply can you tell me what the liquid bird vitamins is called.
Again many thanks.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Hmm. Are they the same age and kept in the same enclosure? Tell us a little more about how you have them set up. Crucial elements for us to know is what light you use for UV. The coil lights can damage their retinas and cause eye problems. Substrate could be getting into the eye causing irritation. kept too dry could cause eyes to weep and or close. Lack in hydration can also cause the eye to close shut. Vitamin A and the lack of can be a problem as well. Typically the vitamin A is in larger more adult or subadult species where diet has been lacking this mineral/vitamin. Let us know and we will try to help out as much as possible. Usually find the cause by process of elimination. :D

Billsa

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Hmm. Are they the same age and kept in the same enclosure? Tell us a little more about how you have them set up. Crucial elements for us to know is what light you use for UV. The coil lights can damage their retinas and cause eye problems. Substrate could be getting into the eye causing irritation. kept too dry could cause eyes to weep and or close. Lack in hydration can also cause the eye to close shut. Vitamin A and the lack of can be a problem as well. Typically the vitamin A is in larger more adult or subadult species where diet has been lacking this mineral/vitamin. Let us know and we will try to help out as much as possible. Usually find the cause by process of elimination. :D

I believe that they are 10 months old
the one with the good eyes she is 2months older than the one with bad eyes
Hagen Exo Terra Glow Light Porcelain clamp Hagen Exo Terra Solar Glo Sun Simulating lamp 125 watt
Is the light I am using.
I have bathed them every 2 days substrate I use is top soil I think I will spray this as it looks a bit dry
I have ordered some Terramycin which I will try when it comes

Status
Not open for further replies.