Eyes not quite right

samk_969

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello

My 15 year old Herman for some reason this year has had unhappy eyes. He has visited the vet, had a the blood tests he can - all negative, had eyedrops, two types, his habitat temps and humidity monitored twice daily, anti-biotic injections, vitamin boost, daily baths, his appetite is still good, defecates and urinates as normal, moves just as rapidly, but I can not get his eyes shiny and black. The third eye is visible, but where normally the eye ball would be black it is dull, with a just a little shiny black area. Any suggestions or thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Photos attached

Kind regards

Samantha

IMG_20200802_135527.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello

My 15 year old Herman for some reason this year has had unhappy eyes. He has visited the vet, had a the blood tests he can - all negative, had eyedrops, two types, his habitat temps and humidity monitored twice daily, anti-biotic injections, vitamin boost, daily baths, his appetite is still good, defecates and urinates as normal, moves just as rapidly, but I can not get his eyes shiny and black. The third eye is visible, but where normally the eye ball would be black it is dull, with a just a little shiny black area. Any suggestions or thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Photos attached

Kind regards

Samantha
How recently has the tortoise been to the vet? And is this vet well experienced with reptiles, especially tortoises?

The tortoise looks quite dehydrated and its eyes appear to be sunken in as well as being dull in appearance in spite of you saying everything is normal. It very well may need to have blood work done to see if its liver and kidneys are functioning properly. My first impression is that they are not. Is there any puffiness in the leg sockets or around the neck?

samk_969

UK
How recently has the tortoise been to the vet? And is this vet well experienced with reptiles, especially tortoises?

The tortoise looks quite dehydrated and its eyes appear to be sunken in as well as being dull in appearance in spite of you saying everything is normal. It very well may need to have blood work done to see if its liver and kidneys are functioning properly. My first impression is that they are not. Is there any puffiness in the leg sockets or around the neck?

Hello,

He is still taking the latest set of medication issues by the vet. She is very experienced in reptiles in particular tortoises. He always has water available in addition to his daily tepid / luke warm bath. He has also been tested for reptilian herpes and all was negative. No puffiness anywhere.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it an indoor tortoise? What kind of light are you using? Have you switched to a different substrate than he's used to?

samk_969

UK
He stays in most of time with the UK weather, but does go out on dry warm days when the ground temperature is adequate. Substrate type hasn't changed for years. He has a red heat lamp and UV light. We allow his home to cool a little during the night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you recently changed the light?

samk_969

UK
Have you recently changed the light?
I have but this started well before, it's been going on for 3 months, with improvement here and there, then deterioration..... Ups and downs. Hasn't slowed him down though, and he is always eager to get out in the garden

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he goes outside you don't need a UVB light. Try turning it off for a week or so and see if it improves.

Also, look for veterinary eye ointment, any brand, and apply it a couple times a day.

samk_969

UK
If he goes outside you don't need a UVB light. Try turning it off for a week or so and see if it improves.

Also, look for veterinary eye ointment, any brand, and apply it a couple times a day.
[/QUOTE

He is still taking prescription drops at the moment. Have you seen this before? I was very concerned when somebody else went straight for the liver failure option?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What type of UVB build are you using- coil fluorescent, Mercury vapor or long tube fluorescent?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello,

He is still taking the latest set of medication issues by the vet. She is very experienced in reptiles in particular tortoises. He always has water available in addition to his daily tepid / luke warm bath. He has also been tested for reptilian herpes and all was negative. No puffiness anywhere.
Well, there is something wrong with that tortoise. What medications is it being given? Perhaps the medication(s) is/are causing a problem with its liver and/or kidneys because something definitely isn't right when the eyes look like that and are so sunken in in spite of it being well hydrated according to your description of its care. Blood work should be done to test the liver and kidney functions.

samk_969

UK
Well, there is something wrong with that tortoise. What medications is it being given? Perhaps the medication(s) is/are causing a problem with its liver and/or kidneys because something definitely isn't right when the eyes look like that and are so sunken in in spite of it being well hydrated according to your description of its care. Blood work should be done to test the liver and kidney functions.
I know this, his blood work has been done and everything was normal. Currently he is only on eye drops.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I know this, his blood work has been done and everything was normal. Currently he is only on eye drops.
When was the blood work done and were the electrolyte levels as well as blood enzymes checked ? What is/are the active ingredient(s) in the eye drops?

samk_969

UK
New set of tests results, no specific virus found although a reduced white blood cell count, liver and all other blood tests normal, x-rays also done again, and swabs, no sign of any organ failure. Slight anaemia is being treated and a nebuliser given also incase of any infections lurking that are not showing up.