Eyes shut again!

Ardelle

Location (City and/or State)
Ilkeston
I can’t believe am back with twigs again, his eyes shut a month or so ago and did start to open, however past few weeks hes closed them again even to eat.

Hes eating and drinking well I just have to hold food still! I included grated carrot weekly now to make sure its not vitamin A deficiency.

I swapped my strip light for a mercery vapour bulb that I can position higher

He did have a hide ect but had to remove as has flipped himself over a few times

I am posting some photos of the enclosure and readings am hoping someone might be able to spot the problem.

I have also noticed his face is getting darker but believe this might be age?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 3334D814-DF7B-46DF-9882-592FEEE9E8D8.jpeg
    3334D814-DF7B-46DF-9882-592FEEE9E8D8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • C2609404-69CD-454A-92AD-E62ED2F863DF.jpeg
    C2609404-69CD-454A-92AD-E62ED2F863DF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 67A3C7D5-8A5B-455C-B076-2FBDBC9E425B.jpeg
    67A3C7D5-8A5B-455C-B076-2FBDBC9E425B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • C7C4E156-6192-4ADB-B0D0-168FBA5F31E5.jpeg
    C7C4E156-6192-4ADB-B0D0-168FBA5F31E5.jpeg
    973.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 56036EF6-43F1-49DF-93DB-C43BD86253B1.jpeg
    56036EF6-43F1-49DF-93DB-C43BD86253B1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the MVB is bothering his eyes.

In the wild when baby tortoises hatch they stay hidden the majority of the time. They're almost never out in the open like your enclosure is.

Just curious, why did you change out the strip light for the MVB? I use strip lights in my baby enclosures and have quite good luck with them.

Buy some soothing eye ointment, human grade from the pharmacy is ok, and dab a bit on his eyes a couple times a day. Add several potted plants to give him lots of shade and places to get away from the light, and soak him in warm water daily for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Hi, he did used to have a hide ect but I removed as he tipped himself onto his back 6 times last week.

He previously had his eyes shut a few months ago and it was suggested the strip light was too close to him, the pet shop had told me to rest it ontop of the enclosure making it 20cm above him.

I removed it for a few days and his eyes oepned again.

I will definitely try the oilment would viscoscan be ok? Its a gel?

Thanks

Ardelle

Ilkeston
He has been having daily soaks, is there a particular potted plant you recommend?

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I had a look online and found these two should be ok, a wandering jew and Geranium

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Yes strip light and reduce the amount of time to 2 hours just yo try and get him well . He needs a hide with substrate in to snuggle down in. Have you a clean flower pot that you can lay on it side? Move some substrate to make a dip to secure it and the slopes side is hard for them to get a grip. Position near or close to heat not under but turn entrance away from light. Please post pics of hide and we can suggest other things.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I will do that, I had removed things as was scared of him tipping himself up and not being able to get right again

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I had a look online and found these two should be ok, a wandering jew and Geranium
Yes looks good you can see he turned away from light. Ensure he can do a 360 walk around the plants. Next ensure there is a water dish similar to a flower pot base that he can walk in and out also get some flattish stones as well to landscape.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
If its any consolation we all have flipping hatchlings it is in their DNA to explore :):tort:. They can self right but I ended up removing any obstacles whilst I was out until they grew up. FYI I use plastic fish tank greenery and flattish stones from a equation shop. You can place these at an angle over the hide to provide grip. Just be careful re heat lamp where things yet placed.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Hi found a plant pot

Attachments

• D0AD36FB-7C35-4240-9E2A-6EC43F35715B.png
    D0AD36FB-7C35-4240-9E2A-6EC43F35715B.png
    849 KB · Views: 4

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
OK great, now monitor and reduce the light timer to give his eyes some rest or just turn off for now heat needs to be provided.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Ok will do thanks for all your help!
Just worried about him flipping over but hopefully he will be ok not at work this week so I can keep checking

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I purchased some repti boost from amazon today shall I give it to him? Haven’t used before but was desperate for something to try

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Have you soaked him recently ? This stuff is for dehydration. I would warm shallow soak him in clean water for 30 mins in a room with natural light only. Then provide fresh food and water and leave alone to get used to new layout. Assume your in USA so start of day?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Monitor eyes and apply the eye cream if you want as mentioned in earlier post.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Yes he was soaked this morning and have been doing daily, ok will do and thank you.

I am in the UK so its 6.15pm x

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I can’t believe am back with twigs again, his eyes shut a month or so ago and did start to open, however past few weeks hes closed them again even to eat.

Hes eating and drinking well I just have to hold food still! I included grated carrot weekly now to make sure its not vitamin A deficiency.

I swapped my strip light for a mercery vapour bulb that I can position higher

He did have a hide ect but had to remove as has flipped himself over a few times

I am posting some photos of the enclosure and readings am hoping someone might be able to spot the problem.

I have also noticed his face is getting darker but believe this might be age?

Thanks in advance

How high did you have the MVB?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
How high did you have the MVB?
If you are in the UK, you can get an eye gel called Viscotears from any chemist - it is fairly cheap, and a little blob on each eye might help - it isn't on prescription, and it works well on our little Zola - it's just a soothing clear gel which get runny when applied - you can use it as often as you like
Angie (from Devon)

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Hi, the uvb is on a thermostat set to 36

I have been using a eye gel called viscosan, I think it’s similar?

I have changed his enclosure round thanks to sarahs suggestion.

I have noticed yesterday and today he hasn’t been to the loo at all, is this something to worry about? He normally goes when being soaked