Eyes shut again!

Ardelle

Location (City and/or State)
Ilkeston
Does anyone have experience with the smallest tortoise of the litter and advice on if they tend to survive

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you tried using topsoil? I use a mix of topsoil and coco coir - the woodchip substrate can irritate their eyes.
We don't recommend using any kind of soil as it causes impaction when they track it through the food then eat it. The kind of wood chips we use, fir bark, doesn't irritate the eyes.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I have never used soil, does anyone have any opinion of id vet is right him
Being runt of the litter?

He was very small when I had him
Less than a 50p now around 8cm long and should be 10 months

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Well he has grown lots in your care. I would give him the best you can, read the care sheet, make changes etc.. it is worth fixing and adjusting things. A happy, healthy , active tortoise is rewarding and a joy. Tortoise care is hard work, need investment and time to get the set up optimum but once your there it is worth it.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Well he has grown lots in your care. I would give him the best you can, read the care sheet, make changes etc.. it is worth fixing and adjusting things. A happy, healthy , active tortoise is rewarding and a joy. Tortoise care is hard work, need investment and time to get the set up optimum but once your there it is worth it.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I will do everything I can have a new ceramic heater ect coming from amazon tomorrow, am just devastated and so worried about him poor thing.

What size should he be roughly is the vet right he’s extremely small

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Here is what I have but mine is enclosed so ceiling light fitting. You can see the bulb and the thermostat

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_185131_6.jpg
    IMG_20220810_185131_6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I have that thermastat and have just received this ceramic heater

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I weight weekly and have done from week one I then know weight loss or gain. Cm Measurement personally was only useful 6 monthly as growth is slow and steady. You suddenly see that they can not fit in a hide that used to be big! Simple way is kitchen scales, old ice cream box or similar 0 the dial and put the tortoise in and log the wieight. As he grows you can use a ramekin and balance on his plastron but that can be when he is bigger
Just looked back 78g 10 months later 158= 80g growth in 10 months. We are not comparing apples and apples but give you an idea.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Ok thanks will do thay tomorrow, he opened one eye slightly on the way back from the vets so I know he can open them but must be too exhausted to maybe?

Hes come back and gone straight to sleep simply where I put him, so put him in the shaded area thought best to leave him be today after the trip out

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Yes good idea. they like to sleep early and long. After a day in the garden speedy was in his inside enclosure at 17.00 and is fast asleep now untill tomorrow am . Just make sure there is fresh water available and food removed. Then fresh water and food in the morning.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I was just thinking is it worth me trying some if the critical care powder I have seen in the shops? If he won’t drink some can still be absorbed is that right

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Hi sorry for all the questions @Tom suggested 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store.

I am struggling am in the UK? Are the 8W leds the same please

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I was just thinking is it worth me trying some if the critical care powder I have seen in the shops? If he won’t drink some can still be absorbed is that right
I would first get set up and during regular warm shallow soaks he will drink during his time in there. They do not drink the bowl dry! They like to walk through it, sit in it and will dip their beak and take a small amount in. I would avoid medical approach and get the set up correct for now. As we have nice UK weather maybe give him a 30 mins run around outside to give him a change of scenery and use his legs and breath fresh air. This should help welfare.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Hi, I have a new run do will get him outside, he wasn’t eating again this morning then I grated some carrot over his weeds and he ate a tiny bit!

Hes now sleeping again though is only waking up when I bath him.

I couldn’t find the old standard light bulbs but got a 65w flood pet one and the heater is due to be delivered today

When I bath him he doesn’t seem to be drinking though but his eyes did open a little again in the bath today.

Do I keep waking him up to attempt him to eat or leave him be

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi sorry for all the questions @Tom suggested 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store.

I am struggling am in the UK? Are the 8W leds the same please
I would question why you need this. You have the tube for uvb and the heat. That is enough for now. His eyes are burning from too much light. You have an open table so open curtains and use day light.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I would question why you need this. You have the tube for uvb and the heat. That is enough for now. His eyes are burning from too much light. You have an open table so open curtains and use day light.
Ok so not needed? Will leave it out then